9 week old puppy being aggressive to 1 year old dog and people at times

Thread: 9 week old puppy being aggressive to 1 year old dog and people at times

Port2010 is offline Junior Member

Default9 week old puppy being aggressive to 1 year old dog and people at times

So we have a 1 year old chocolate lab, Porter, who is the model child...easy to train, sweet, great with other dogs and very good all the time. We brought home a yellow lab puppy, Trout, last week and he was 8 weeks old. Within 2 days he was already showing signs of dominance with our other dog and at times he gets a little agressive with the other dog (stalking him then attacking, not letting go when the other dog yelps, etc.) and will lash out at us when he is scolded or corrected. I know a ton about dogs and training and this guy is throwing me for a loop. I have been extrememly consistant with him but he is just testing me like no other dog or animal I have ever worked with. I know with the other dog I need to let him work it out but it is hard to watch him constantly harass Porter who dosent have a mean bone in his body! The agression with us really worries me...he is not afraid of us at all and I have done everything you are supposed to do to establish your dominance and this little guy just won't give in to the battle for power like I think normal puppies do. We have only had him two weeks so I am thinking that maybe we just need more time but when he went after my mom's face aggressively when she corrected him for biting I was shocked. If anyone has any insight PLEASE share. This guy is stressing me out!
    Last edited by Port2010; 08-24-2010 at 05:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

how are you "establishing dominance" or correcting him?

Port2010 is offline Junior Member

Everything that I possibly know how to do...not letting him bite and giving him an alternative when possible like a toy to chew on. I dont let him lead me - he follows me into the room or wherever we are going, he is not allowed to crawl on me, I don't wrestle with him - we only play with toys, when he whines I ignore it, etc. I could go on and on! He respects me most of the time (my husband not so much) but there are times that when I tell him not to do something he will just come right back at me...and it is not nice. He goes after my other dog whenever he is bringing the ball back to me...just stalks him then goes after him really aggressivly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

have done everything you are supposed to do to establish your dominance and this little guy just won't give in to the battle for power like I think normal puppies do.
    Okay, I was assuming from that statement that you MAY have been trying to "alpha roll" or pin or hold the puppy down in an attempt to be dominant. If that's not so, I apologize, but if it IS so, stop doing it. The alpha roll or dominant down or whatever, is pretty much a discounted method of training - neither dogs nor wolves don't do it - a dog may choose to rollover or lay on its side as a gesture of appeasement, but dogs don't "flip" each other unless they are in a serious fight.

Any hoo. It's possible that your puppy is aggressive, it is also possible that he is just a mouthy, energetic puppy.. it's very very difficult to assess this through the computer screen. Is there a trainer that you can call to observe what is going on? Or could you videotape the problem behaviour?

Did the puppy come from a breeder, a rescue, a shelter? Do you know his history?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If you know someone with an older (like 3-4 yo), well tempered but confident female dog try putting them together. I bet she'll quickly put him in his place.

Honestly - he sounds to me like a high energy, high drive puppy. Maybe he is not a good match temperament wise with the older puppy you have (1 year is still a puppy in my book) but I don't think this is aggression - he is fiesty.

Did you want a high drive very energetic dog?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Honestly - he sounds to me like a high energy, high drive puppy. Maybe he is not a good match temperament wise with the older puppy you have (1 year is still a puppy in my book) but I don't think this is aggression - he is fiesty.
    Ditto.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post

Did you want a high drive very energetic dog?
    X2
    It is very rare for a puppy to be "agressive" at that age, they are still very much babies. I agree it sounds like a high energy, high drive puppy. These pups can be more fun (espeically if you want to compete with them) but more of a handful to raise and train (and need more mental and physical stimulation than a laid back dog like your 1 year old)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Try not saying a word. Go p/u puppy when he's being a brat, and put him in his crate. Shut the door(s) and walk away. You will establish your role as leader that way. Often times, puppies are at their worst when tired and ready to crash anyhow.

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

That stalking behavior sounds like prey/play drive to me, not true aggression. Have you ever watched a documentary where a big cat or fox stalks and pounces, that is hunting behavior not aggression. For some reason some puppies just don't understand biting too hard, I think maybe there own pain threshold is so high it makes hard for them to understand, the one I had like that began to mellow out at 3.5 months or so, just keep being consistent. Put the puppy up when you play ball with the other dog, each dog should get plenty of alone time with you, he's too little to play with a big dog anyway.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I highly doubt that your puppy is aggressive. Everything you mentioned sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. Keep him mentally busy, peanut butter kongs, bones, short training walks, and training periods etc.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola