invisible fence problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: invisible fence problem

victorytea is offline Member

Defaultinvisible fence problem

Installed a PetSafe IF and started training. Did the vibration and beep the 1st day and on the second day moved to electricity. I set the collar on 3- one higher than the lowest setting. she was burned 3 times as I walked her past the flags . Then she sat and stubbornly refused to move. I did not want to drag her into any IF areas so I shut training down. Next day she refused to come off the deck. I have since backed off the training and have taken her into the yard only for play. I also feed her about 6 feet from a flag. Soon I plan to start training again with only the beep and the vibration and then move to the lowest shock setting. She is an extremely intelligent lab and ( I thought) pretty hard as she is high energy. Anyone out there with experience on the training who could advise me? I called PetSafe and they concurred with my plan so far. Pearl is 4 mos. old and knows obedience commands. Thanks, Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Someone I used to work with had a similar problem with her Beagle when she put in an IF. He absolutely refused to go off the porch. Eventually he did, but I don't know the specifics. I have to be honest, I'm not an IF fan for many reasons. But I know they work well for some people.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I think you are really, really playing with fire, putting an IF collar on a 4 mo puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

OMG. Does the companyrealize that you are trying to boundry train a baby with a shock collar? I think this is a quick route to having a fearful traumatized adult dog. I would re-think this path and if you do it - wait until she is considerably older - at least 8 months old.

I know that these fences work with some dogs - not with all dogs. I am not a fan as they don't keep other dogs/other animals out of your yard. They also will inhibit a dog who chases something past the boundry from coming back. I've never owned a dog I would allow to be in such an insecure method of containment - they've all been pretty high drive (except Blaise). Much prefer a real fence.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

After a fitful night of sleep I have decided to follow the advice of most on this forum and abandon the IF. Pearl is way to precious to my family and myself to risk her losing her carefree personality. I have only about 200 dollars into this and recently learned that my neighbor will be selling his yard fencing as he is moving. Thanks for the advice and keep up the good work. I am really glad I found this forum!!!

brody is offline Senior Member

she got "burned" while walking with you?
    no wonder she doesn't trust you or the yard anymore

good luck rebuilding her confidence
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

With some play and feedings in the yard, she is confident again and I see no further problems. I am sorry I chose IF in the 1st place!!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorytea View Post
    With some play and feedings in the yard, she is confident again and I see no further problems. I am sorry I chose IF in the 1st place!!
    I'm glad she's regained her confidence. I'm betting that's because, over all, you have a good relationship & she trusts you. We all make mistakes. I'm glad you caught this one before it got out of hand. Don't be a stranger here!

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    OMG. Does the companyrealize that you are trying to boundry train a baby with a shock collar? I think this is a quick route to having a fearful traumatized adult dog. I would re-think this path and if you do it - wait until she is considerably older - at least 8 months old.

I know that these fences work with some dogs - not with all dogs. I am not a fan as they don't keep other dogs/other animals out of your yard. They also will inhibit a dog who chases something past the boundry from coming back. I've never owned a dog I would allow to be in such an insecure method of containment - they've all been pretty high drive (except Blaise). Much prefer a real fence.
    I completely agree...4 months is way to young. I am not a fan of these fences myself. I know they work for others, but I prefer a real fence as well

I had people from IF company come out and lay out the fence plan. They advised that she was old enough now. She will never be "old enough" now- as far as I'm concerned. I'm installing a real fence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast