Puppy advice please

Thread: Puppy advice please

Hachi is offline Junior Member

LightbulbPuppy advice please

i just got a 6 week old labrador retriever. in the night, he sleeps in a crate and he barks every few hours, we then take him outside to do his business. will he gradually be able to hold it the entire night or is there something we need to do for him to hold his bladder?
    also, how do you get him to stop biting people/furniture. when we say "NO" he doesn't really listen. we have a kong toy that he really likes but he still bites.

when we take him for walks in our backyard, he seems to eat just about anything and everything he finds on the ground. is this just typical of a puppy? i mean i do take whatever he eats out of his mouth, but will he outgrow this??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

6 weeks is young. I took Lola and Grace home at 8 weeks..Gracie started sleeping through the night within a few weeks...Lola took at least a couple of months to hold it all night. He will eventually be able to hold it all night. There isn't much you can do, he is in a crate and that's great. Sooner or later he will begin to sleep all night, I promise

Biting and chewing will probably take a lot longer than sleeping through the night. Gracie was a really mouthy, nippy puppy. She was like this until almost a year old. We would just keep giving her a toy if she got mouthy, ignored her..or if it got really bad we would put her in a gated area for a bit ( we didn't crate Gracie...wish we had). Just be consistent with what ever you do. I was lucky with Lola, she was the best puppy ever..never jumped, chewed, or nipped. That is really, really unusual.

Puppies eat EVERYTHING and he will probably outgrow some of it. However he is a lab...so good luck

Your puppy sounds completely normal to me. Enjoy it, it goes by really fast. Things do get easier in a year or two Good Luck and keep us posted. Pictures please!!

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

Aspen is 12 weeks and i had the same questions. She now sleeps through the night and that started about a week ago. She puts everything and i mean everything in her mouth. Just wait until he runs from you so you can't get it out of his mouth. Biting was really bad the first couple of weeks but now it's only bad when she is really hyper. Her bites have become softer too. My hands are finally starting to now look like i wasnt attacked by a puppy. I have to clear Aspens mouth everytime we go inside. She always finds something. She's getting to the point when we get to the door she opens her mouth but won't drop it on her own yet. We are in puppy classes and things improve slowly but sometimes she is beyond frustrating. At first i was a basket case wondering if she was the most screwed up puppy ever (i'm exaggerating...kind of haha) but people here were really nice to answer my questions. He sounds just like Aspen was and is and once you get into a routine it will get easier.
    Last edited by mandaz000; 08-19-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Amanda

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Not bashing you here - but just want to point out to anyone reading this that 6 weeks is simply too young to leave the litter. It is a giant red flag when a breeder allows a puppy to leave at that age - indicating that the breeder is either completely clueless, not particularly interested in the welfare of the dog or the new family or mostly in breeding for the cash (probably all of those things).

What happens between 6 and 8 weeks (when responsible breeders allow puppies to go home) is critical to the future behavior of the adult dog. In those 2 weeks puppies learn alot about bite inhibition through interaction with their siblings in the litter. When you deprive a puppy of that learning experience - you will very likely have a more mouthy puppy who will have to learn bite inhibition from you.

What you describe in your post is pretty normal - they are like human infants. They don't understand English, they can't hold it for very long if at all and they need your constant attention.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Hachi is offline Junior Member

Sometimes my lab will pee while sleeping. why does this happen? Also, he sleeps most of the day, is this normal of a 7-week old lab? we taught him to sit before we give him his food and before he comes inside the house. Also, he's slowly beginning to hold it throughout the night. great progress for 1 week i think. any advice on what i should do that i am not currently doing?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Has he been to the vet yet? He may just be sleeping deeply - he may be waking up, peeing and then going back to sleep. He may have a UTI.

You are giving him access to clean water all day, right? You can lift it in the evening (like an hour or so after his 3rd meal) but too little water can make a puppy dehydrated and lethargic.

If he has not been seen by a vet, make that appointment today.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.