How young is too young?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How young is too young?

maiajay is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow young is too young?

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum--
    My husband and I just brought home a little lab (he's 6.5 weeks old) and we've had him for three days. We also have a precious, sweet 13 year old male lab mix (not seeming thrilled with the new addition but taking it in stride).
    We have a pen off the kitchen where the puppy is sleeping (equipped with bed, toys, food and lined with paper for accidents, though he's had very few, since we are getting up to let him out at night). Which brings me to our question, the past three nights after we've let him out to pee, we've sat in the pen with him anywhere from 15 mins to an hour until he's played out and goes back to sleep. We only wanted to do this the first few nights so he would adjust to his new home, feel safe and to diminish seperation anxiety, but we don't intend to keep doing this. We would like to start getting him used to being taken out when he wakes up at night to pee and then put back in the pen and left alone so we all can go back to sleep. How yourn is too young to do this? And if he cries and yelps up a storm, as he has indicated he will, how long is too long to leave him doing that? (I assume the answer to that last question will apply to leaving him for periods of time in the pen by himself during the day, whether we are here or not, which we know he needs to get used to as well).
    Thanks in advance for input--and if there is a thread already addressing this that I didn't find, let me know--
    Peace,
    Maya

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BlackLabbie is offline Senior Member

First of, 6.5 weeks is VERY YOUNG to seperate a puppy from its mother and littermate. Where do you live? I may even be illegal depending on the state you live in.
    Second, as to the question you're asking about housebreaking (I think, right?), it's never too young to begin properly housebreaking a puppy that's living in your home.
    Last edited by BlackLabbie; 08-16-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    -Stephanie
    "Apollo", CGC- black Labrador Retriever
    "Molson"- buff American Cocker Spaniel
    "Patty"- black American Cocker Spaniel
    "Pepper" Najaco's Northeast Storm- black Labrador Retriever 5/11/92-9/18/05

http://blacklabbie.blogspot.com/

Smile

Yeah, the breeder's policy is 8 weeks but several logistical reasons caused it to happen this way. It's actually the same age we got our other dog and things turned out quite well
    That said, we are trying to be very sensitive to his age and needs and one of us has been home at all times since we got him.
    Thanks for the advice about starting house breaking--
    Peace,
    Maya
    Last edited by maiajay; 08-16-2010 at 06:29 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi again,
    I guess I just wanted to clarify that our question is about letting him cry, at night but also in his pen during the day. So far we haven't really let him cry, but similar to a baby, wondering if there is a point after which there is an age/amount of time that it's appropriate to let them whine and cry before you pick them up, comfor them etc...?
    Thanks,
    Maya

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi Maya! Welcome to our forum!!
    Do you have an actual crate for him?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

lisa is offline Senior Member

A crate would be a great idea...I never thought that until I did it with my third lab. Housebreaking, especially through the night was so much easier. I would take Lola out during the night, put her right back in and within a few min she was back to sleep. Lola just loves her crate. She is 10 months old, completely housebroken, and does not require her crate anymore...but she loves it. She sleeps there all the time and just goes in there to relax. Good luck, keep us posted

Our puppy, Sender, is doing well. We referenced Lisa's post and started just putting him right back in his area (he does have a crate-like bed, but it's open) and then putting him right back in. He cries sometimes for a few minutes but then quiets down--yay!...At least until 5am which I guess is morning to him-- even if it feels like the middle of the night to us
    On the housebreaking note, if the calculation I've read is accurate and puppies can only hold their bladders approx. 1 hour for every month of their age, does everyone get up throughout the night and take their little ones out every 2-3 hours or are there other approaches people use? And around how long until they can "hold it" through out the night?
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Peace,
    Maya

lisa is offline Senior Member

I think as far as holding it and sleeping through the night..all pups are different. Gracie was sleeping all night after a few weeks, Lola took a couple of months. Lola was in a crate, so if she began to whine or move around a lot, I took her out. I didn't make the middle of the night play time...I gave her a good girl when she did her business and brought her in and put her right back to bed. she would whine a few min and go too sleep. She did get up at 5 most mornings too for a while, but she sleeps until about 6:30 is now. It gets better soon, I promise.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

If you can find another puppy close in age to socialize your's with, that'd be a very good idea. The reason we don't like to hear folks getting puppies so young is they miss out on so many interactive skills normally learned in that period. Many dogs taken too early from their littermates are a little "off" if the owners don't take some extra steps there.

As said earlier, puppies can be housebroken / potty trained quite young. My litters start as early as 2.5-3 wks by going in a certain area, and are fully adapted to using a pool of woody pet pellets by 4 wks when they are put in a bigger pen. Good luck! Anne

That makes sense--re. socializing. In a week--when he's 8 weeks, after his shots, we will take him to a small puppy play group once or twice a week.
    As far as the housebreaking is concerned, he seems to be getting it but at night of course, he can't hold it. We may continue to just get up with him every 2-3 hours, but we're also wondering if anyone practices any of the indoor/potty area methods. I'm not sure that we would, but I've heard about mats or, maybe some other method, so if they do have to go while inside (in their area) there is spot. Any input?
    This is forum is very helpful--thank you.
    Maya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast