Puppy Obsessed with Apt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Obsessed with Apt

amandajean1 is offline Member

DefaultPuppy Obsessed with Apt

For those of you who dont know I found Maggie in a parking lot of a grocery store. that was two weeks ago.

lately, and it's been getting worse, Maggie has become obsessed with my apartment. If it involves walking away (on leash) from my apartment, she literally puts her butt down and won't move. Some times she's okay, but 3 out 5 times, she refuses to move. I don't know whats going on but it's driving me insane. if we stoop down to her level she will walk a couple of steps to me, but the second I stand up she refuses again. She is roughly 8 weeks old. Is this just flat out too early to be using a leash? She has no issue with it except when we're walking away from the apartment, going back towards it she's perfect.

help!
    Last edited by amandajean1; 10-13-2009 at 05:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My hunch is that she's been somewhat traumatized by being abandoned and is afraid you're taking her back to the grocery store to dump her again.

I'll look to see if I can find a protocol for handling this and ETA it.

In general, you'd need to take her out as you have but turn around and walk back to the apartment BEFORE she puts her butt down. Repeat over and over, going just a few steps further from the apartment each time. Watch her carefully to see if she gives any signs of impending anxiety so you can better monitor when to return.

ETA → Darn, I thought I'd saved a protocol on another topic but the only saved one I could find was on eliminating a phobia of fireworks sounds.

In it, though, I did make a suggestion about contacting Dr. Patricia McConnell's group and asking if they have a protocol for this.

So go to www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com and contact them for advice as to whether they have a booklet suitable for your situation.

You can, if you wish, try my suggestion first.

But let me warn you -- it is extremely important, absolutely crucial, that you turn around and go back to the apartment BEFORE she experiences so much anxiety that she squats and refuses to go further. The process is called deconditioning. The object is to provoke only a mild level of anxiety/phobia.

The turning around and returning repeatedly conditions the person -- or the dog, in this case -- that the event to be feared isn't happening this time. So gradually, with repeated trials, the anxiety/fear becomes less and less and finally extinguished.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 10-13-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: addition of more information, link
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would differ from Bob in this. I think she likes the quiet and relative safety of "inside" versus the openness and noise of "outside". I think since you need to get her out to potty regularly that picking her up and carrying her to your destination to potty is acceptable for a couple of weeks. She will get over this (IMO without a deconditioning protocol) and will be happily walking both ways on the leash soon.

Remember to always reward her (a bit of kibble is fine) when she does something you want.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

She might be reacting simply to being leashed.. try letting her drag the leash around for a few days, then pick up the leash and let her choose the direction - keep the leash loose and follow her. Once she's fine with that, start turning as you encourage her with your voice, hand claps,leg patting, to stay with you.

brody is offline Senior Member

personally I wouldn't expect an 8 week old puppy to "walk" on leash in the traditional sense... carry her to where you need her to potty and then practise a little leash walking (as Kaytris says follow her!)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I appreciate and agree with all of the above comments as being very legitimate possibilities which should be tried before using a deconditioning protocol.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

amandajean1 is offline Member

Hi,

thanks for the advice. considering maggie loves my boyfriend so much when he comes over we always go on walks. She is always just a little less resistant with him, so I use that to the advantage. Tonight we had a very good walk, she went to the "scary" places that she normally wont walk to, and didn't throw too much of a fit when we walked past the apartment a few times. I realize she is very young, and needs time, so we're taking it slowly. I give her lots of treats and praise her constantly when she walks on leash with us.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I don't disagree with any of what has been said, but I have seen this with several pups over the years. I don't know whats going on in their heads, but they seem to go through a period where they don't want to leave 'home'.

Personally, I would not get upset. Just have some treats along to coax the pup to keep up with you. Heck, it will pay benefits down the road.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo did this as a pup, and he certainly wasn't abandoned so I think it was just a leash thing. If you think about it, being leashed is a very strange sensation for a dog who hasn't been regularly. Imagine if someone tied something to you and attempted to lead you around. Your first response? "What the...?"

I just used lots of encouragment and cookies to convince him that walking on the leash was not only OK, it was GOOD!! So, when he'd stop I'd use my highest pitch possible, "c'mon puppy!! pup pup pup letsgo!!" Or I would go back to him and get him all jazzed and excited so that he wanted to come with me, and then I'd reward with food for forward motion.

Didn't take long before he was charging out ahead of me, LOL!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Also - her time out in the world walking around should be limited to bathroom runs until she has at least 2 rounds of vaccines in her. Parvo can live on surfaces and can be deadly. As a matter of fact, I would carry her to the potty place (which is hopefully not an area where a lot of other dogs go) and carry her back. You can leash train her in the house and take her on real walks when she is protected.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast