Kitchen Floor Disaster

Thread: Kitchen Floor Disaster

EsLea is offline Junior Member

DefaultKitchen Floor Disaster

Hey guys.. I have a slight problem and it's keeping me stuck in the house because I dare not leave Esme.

We've had her with us for around a month (she's 13/14 weeks) and everything started so well. She slept in the kitchen over night and didn't complain. I then left her inside the kitchen for 2 hours whilst the kids and I went for dinner just a week ago. I came back to my kitchen floor in teared up bits. Saving what I could I put Esme in the kitchen later on for bedtime and I woke up to even more of an eaten kitchen floor.

I'm confused how her behaviour in being put there has changed so quickly and i'm now afraid to leave her ever, because I dread anything else being eaten.

When we are at home, she doesn't care to chew anything but her toys and the odd peg she may find.

Any advice much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

I think it is time for a crate..for your pups safety and your sanity. My Gracie was a chewer, never furniture..but anything she could pick up. I have no picture frames any more, all the pic's are up on the wall. She ate all the backs of my frames while I was at the market one day. When I took Lola home we had a crate waiting, it was the best thing I ever did. She loves her crate. She really doesn't need it any more, but I can not take it away because she is always in it.

Pups go through stages with chewing, some chew from the day you bring them home, some chew later on. Lola never chewed at all and now she likes to chew my shoes...3 pairs so far. If they are crated when you are away you won't have to worry that she may eat something that might make her sick. Good luck, keep us posted

brody is offline Senior Member

CRATE
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

That's the biggest worry, isn't it - that they'll chew something that will make them really ill. Dinozzo chews his bed, he's on his 4th or is it 5th??? So now he has to sleep on the plastic floor in his cage...the last bed had 'memory foam' and I think he passed all he ate, but can't be sure. Good luck with it, I do appreciate how worrying it can be.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

crate
    agree that you will have bigger issues than damage - injury to the mouth (I know a dog that ate a remote and injured teeth that had to then be extracted!) or other part of the body to poisonning or blockage.

crating is not cruel, most dogs aboslutely love their crates when properly trained and will go there just to rest even when they do not have to. It is handy when travelling as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Crate + exercise.

re: proper amount of exercise, I've recommended:

FWIW, the generally accepted JL rule of thumb for the amount of vigorous daily exercise Labs need is about 5 minutes for each month of age up to one year of age. I got Puff as a 9 week old pup--a few months before joining JL and a year or so before seeing that "JL rule" expressed.

But going by Puff's inclination to chew stair steps, table legs, computer wires when bored, etc., I found she needed two daily periods of that much exercise each day (each separated by 8-12 hours) to be comfortable to live with. By daily vigorous exercise, I don't mean leashed walks around the block. I mean offleash running at the rate that she determined. I taught Puff to fetch and that exercise is great for Labs without exhausting their owners. Swimming retrieves are also great.

While there are major similarities between Labs & Lab mixes, there will always be specific differences between individuals. You need to learn to "read" your Lab's behavior so you respond to its specific needs rather than following some rule blindly.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

Aspen chewed two holes in my wall. i bought bitter apple spray and she hasn't touched the wall since. I have noticed as long as she gets enough exercise she's a lot easier to live with. Also I do 5 minutes a day (she loses attention after that) of training with treats. At 10 wks she already has the sit thing down (well as long as there is nothing to interrupt her attention) it's something i read on here about mental stimulation and it really seems to calm her down.

Amanda

EsLea is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the replies. I'm for sure investing in a crate. We also have 5 days left before she can go out so once we can walk her it will be a huge benefit to her and us.

Thank you again for the advice