Mom needs some help!! Pls

Thread: Mom needs some help!! Pls

Leeann is offline Junior Member

DefaultMom needs some help!! Pls

Hi guys,

I hope you dont mind me asking about another breed here:-)

My mom had two boerbulls, lovely boys (brothers). The one passed away about 2 months ago, and my moms vet advised her to get a new puppy so that the other would not get lonely. She got a puppy and she loves it to bits.

The puppy is only 8weeks old, but obviously is into its chewing and biting. The pup bites the bigger dog and takes the bigger dogs toys. The bigger dog has twice now snapped at the puppy. Luckily it was only a scratch on the nose, but it could be worse. My mom's heart is broken, she said that the puppy's personality is changing and he cries for a long time after the bigger dog snapped at him. Its also unfair at the bigger dog as my mom is very nervous (and im sure he picks it up) and she gets very angry with him for snapping at the puppy.

My mom now is worried that she made the wrong choice for the puppy and the bigger dog. She is also scared that she has put the pup in danger. SHe has had the pup for about 2/3 weeks now and for the most part they get along great.

I think its a puppy training problem, as the puppy needs to learn not to chew and bite. Any advice? my mom is heart broken. I dont think she could handle loosing another dog. She loves them dearly and gives them such a good home.

SHe has a really big plot and they have so much space, she plays and excersises them everyday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix is offline Senior Member

At first .. Congrats at taking a new pup in youre home ..

And for second, as you describe it in youre story, this is the way dogs learn from each other. Snapping (is NOT biting!) on the nose is a dominance handling from a dog towards an other one .. And the wining and loud out crying .. Dont pay to much attention to it, youngster could be basicly a big dramaqueen, and if you take a look at him/her, nothing seriously happend ..

But, what i should do, is to give them boundries, in such way both could be happy, a small pup is funny to have, but also has to learn a lot of things. And that last thing also counts for the older dog also ..

And dogs discover the world by their nose and their mouth ..

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Is it a Boerboel? I have never heard of the breed, so I googled it.

I just got a new puppy 6 wks ago. My adult dog is very placid. When the puppy came, he went into teaching mode. So of the actions are hard to watch, cause I honestly feel there are days where the adult dog is taking this teaching to a whole new level So far no blood has been drawn, unless you count the nose of the adult dog. Still not sure how he got knicked on his nose...I am assuming by the puppy.

What I have been doing, if it looks extreme, seperate them, and let them mellow out for a bit. Good Luck with the new puppies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Leeann is offline Junior Member

Yes they are boerboels.

The puppy was bitten on the nose by the bigger dog. This breed of dog is quite large and very strong. The puppy could fit into the bigger dogs mouth! Hence the concern

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    At first .. Congrats at taking a new pup in youre home ..

And for second, as you describe it in youre story, this is the way dogs learn from each other. Snapping (is NOT biting!) on the nose is a dominance handling from a dog towards an other one .. And the wining and loud out crying .. Dont pay to much attention to it, youngster could be basicly a big dramaqueen, and if you take a look at him/her, nothing seriously happend ..

But, what i should do, is to give them boundries, in such way both could be happy, a small pup is funny to have, but also has to learn a lot of things. And that last thing also counts for the older dog also ..

And dogs discover the world by their nose and their mouth ..
    ^^
    Ditto...if it gets to be too rough, just separate them for a bit. I am sure things will be fine. Good luck and congrats on the new puppy