At wits end!!

Thread: At wits end!!

Leeann is offline Junior Member

DefaultAt wits end!!

Ok so most of you know that I adopted Storm just over a week ago. (she is 1)
    When I first got her she was so well behaved and really listened well.

I have created this problem that I am having now, as I have alowed storm to sleep with my son at night. If you have seen my previous posts you will know that my son has taken to feeding storm early hours of the morning while we are all sleeping.

Last night Storm woke my son up every hour from 12pm, and together they went through to the kitchen. I tried to then seperate them (at about 3am) and close storm in the lounge so that she would not wake my son up. Storm REFUSED to come to the lounge, to the point were I tried to pick her up and move her there. She refused so hard and fought with me to the point were I actually had an asthma attack from trying to pick her up. She kept going back to my son's bed and would not listen. And she kept wakingmy son up. I cannot close my sons door as he is only two and a half and wont sleep with a closed door. I am so exhausted from not sleeping and can barely function.

Another thing that Storm is doing is climbing through the window while I am at work, there is such a small gap in the burglar bars that storm is squising through that she has actually bent the bars! This im sure really hurts her.

I know that at her previous owners she wasnt allowed in side at all so why is she doing this now?? I allow her in as soon as we get home, and we have our "play / walk" time when I get home and i keep her well excercised.
    I cannot leave her inside while I am at work as she chews my kids toys, and chases the cat. Also, the agreement with my husband was that she can sleep inside at night, but during the day she must be out. The cat is my husbands and he adores it.

I really love storm, and my kids are so fond of her. I want to figure out a way to fix this problem so that we can enjoy her and respect each other. I did so much research on labs and training before getting her, but nothing I have learnt seems to be helping with this.

Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I think that it's crate time !

Start training her to use a crate with treats, and feed her in there.

There's lost more advice on the use of crates on this site - just do a search.

Have the crate in your bedroom if necessary to prevent her from feeling lonely but remember to make it fun and not a punishment.

I would also say that most Labs respect cats once that they get used to the idea that the cat lives there too ! I have three cats and they all love my dogs ! Cats will not be upset providing that they have an escape route if the dogs get too boisterous !
    Last edited by Samson; 07-27-2010 at 06:36 AM.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post

Have the crate in your bedroom if necessary to prevent her from feeling lonely but remember to make it fun and not a punishment.

I would also say that most Labs respect cats once that they get used to the idea that the cat lives there too ! I have three cats and they all love my dogs ! Cats will not be upset providing that they have an escape route if the dogs get too boisterous !
    ^^^
    completely agree. I did not crate train Gracie and she was a disaster in the house, breaking things, chewing up things, I had to lock her in the bathroom when I went out...so that meant everything in the bathroom (soap, razors, shampoo) had to be out of reach...it was exhausting.
    When I bought Lola home I had a crate waiting for her...she loves it to this day. I dont have to lock up Grace or crate Lola anymore, but Lola still goes in her crate to sleep and rest.
    Do yourself a favor and start crate training, there is alot of great info on this forum if you research it. It will make your life sooo much easier. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post

Defnitely crate time. Both Jeb and Hampton slleep in crates in our bedroom. Jeb's can be left open since he's 3.5 years old.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

brody is offline Senior Member

glad you recognize you are a part of the problem - you are the solution too

crating, NILIF, spending tie training and exercise are all important pieces of putting ife with storm together
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I agree that a crate would be best. She can sleep in it, and stay in it during the day while you are out. Leaving dogs alone outside when no one is home scares me. You never know what could happen. Dog could be stolen, dig out under a fence, etc. Inside in a crate would be safest (for the dog, the house, the kids toys, and the cat )
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Thanks everyone, I have been so nervous about crate training as, i must admit, i always thought it was cruel. But I have done more research on it and have only heard positive feedback, so its gotta be good.
    But is it ok to crate train even at 1 year? I thought it was only for puppies?

I had a better sleep last night, BEFORE putting the kids to bed I put up a kiddie gate between the passage, so Storm had access to lounge. She didnt cry at all during the night and we all got some sleep. This also solved another problem of keeping my terrorist son ;-) out of the kitchen early in the mroning. hehe

Gonna look into crate training some more and see if I can buy one this weekend.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you can start crate training at any age, ALL my fosters are very quickly introduced to the crate from day 1 in my house no matter hte age or background (the only exeption would be a dog that has severe sepration or crate anxiety - which I have not had). There is no way I leave a new dog uncrated in my living area (maybe if I could dog proof a room but I live in a 1 bedroom so not doable).

Start feeding in the crate (put the food bowl in there, or just mix it up i there. Actually I would HAND FEED half her meal and put the other half in the crate (I agree with brody for the NILF). When I leave for the day I usually feed them their meal in the crate (just spread it around in there) and leave a kong with abit of PB to keep them happy. I haven't had any issues. TRY as much as possible not to force a dog into the crate but...see how it goes (I admit I had to do this sometimes but still had long term success).

The first week or so in a new home is called the "honeymoon" period where most new dogs are very very good. But don't be fooled, they come into their own with time.

I HIGHLY recommend obedience classes even if she knows the basics and spending time daily (even if it is just 2 5minutes sessions) on training.

What type of exercise is she getting and how much?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Don't be surprised if she complains at first in the crate - she will eventually get accustomed to it and grow to love it. My younger Lab takes naps in his open crate during the day of his own choice and sleeps in there most nights as well - we rarely close him in there anymore.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

What type of exercise is she getting and how much?
    When I arrive home from work my kids and I play fetch with storm, she run quite a bit. After fetch I run with her in the back garden (trying to teach her to run next to me) and usually she ends up going inside before we are tired.

She is doing much better, sleeping in the lounge now and have not had crying for quite some time:-)