Pup as hunting pal?

Thread: Pup as hunting pal?

luvmykiddos is offline Senior Member

DefaultPup as hunting pal?

My DH would like to take up hunting, and take Charlie with him. DH will be taking a hunting safety course, then work with his friend, an experienced hunter and his lab, so Charlie and DH can learn from the experienced ones. Charlie can swim, retrieve, sit, and stay so far. We are working with him to do his commands from a short distance (all commands have been right in front of him so far, we are widending the steps backwards each day). We are also working on getting his "release" to be quicker, hopefully on command soon. He is naturally soft mouthed. He has a great capacity to learn. Are there any "games" that we can incorporate in our daily "games, training" to help with the formal lessons he will have later?

Thanks for the help.

Kim, Charlie-chocolate, born 1-12-10 & Samantha-yellow, born 2-12-10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I was going to suggest you also post in the Hunting/Field Trials child board of JL but see you already have.

Retrieving birds is usually part of the training.

How did Charlie handle fireworks and the 4th of July? Some dogs get anxious around loud pop explosions as from fireworks or shotguns. Some do not. If Charlie isn't bothered, fine. If he is, you might want to decondition him from that. (I think Patricia McConnell at dogsbestfriendtraining.com has a pamphlet on how to do that.)

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I would look at Jackie Merten's DVD "Sound Beginnings" or Bill Hillman's Puppy DVD. Either or both would be well worth your while. Work on your basic OB. If your "sit", "heel" and "here" are rock solid, you will be way ahead of the game once you start his basics.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    I would look at Jackie Merten's DVD "Sound Beginnings" or Bill Hillman's Puppy DVD. Either or both would be well worth your while. Work on your basic OB. If your "sit", "heel" and "here" are rock solid, you will be way ahead of the game once you start his basics.
    Thanks GulfCoast. We will definitely check out the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    I was going to suggest you also post in the Hunting/Field Trials child board of JL but see you already have.

Retrieving birds is usually part of the training.

How did Charlie handle fireworks and the 4th of July? Some dogs get anxious around loud pop explosions as from fireworks or shotguns. Some do not. If Charlie isn't bothered, fine. If he is, you might want to decondition him from that. (I think Patricia McConnell at dogsbestfriendtraining.com has a pamphlet on how to do that.)

Thanks Bob.
    Yes, we should work on deconditioning of noise. Charlie reacts to the slightest noise. We will check out the website.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Also, check on Cherylon Loveland's "puppy book." Google her at Amazon. Its VERY good.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg