Jersey is still "mouthy"

Thread: Jersey is still "mouthy"

bluejeans is offline Member

DefaultJersey is still "mouthy"

Jersey has graduated obedience training. She's turned into a delightful young dog, with lots of personality. She loves to play ball, fetching & dropping the ball without commands, she's off running before I've even picked the ball up. Jersey plays nicely with other dogs at the dog park, although she's submissive for the first 15 minutes she's there. Accidents are a distant memory.

The only real problem we're having is the biting. It's not vicious. She likes to greet with an open mouth on my arm. She likes to lay at my feet...and bite them. And the general, love bites. It's scares children & elderly. My trainer says it takes time.

Here's a new pic of Jersey.
    Jersey_10mths on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

She is a sweetie!!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

That's old IMO to still be doing this. What are you doing to discourage her?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bluejeans is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    That's old IMO to still be doing this. What are you doing to discourage her?
    I tell her NO BITING! If she's jumping & biting company, I put her in the xpen. If she's biting my feet, I tell her to get her toy or bone. (she can distinguish the words: toy, bone, or ball). Also, it's odd, but if I show her a fist, lean over her, and say NO BITING! she becomes submissive. She's never been hit by a fist, but the sight of it seems to be dominate. My son got that from Ceasar, who I usually don't go by. I like Victoria Stillwell (It's Me or the Dog). Jersey is what Victoria would call a "reactive dog" i.e. she goes a bit crazy when she sees other dogs, people, birds, rabbits & cats. Jersey still wants to jump on guests. the trainer says to put a knee in her chest.

So any help on biting & jumping would be appreciated.

TimC is offline Junior Member

In my opinion I'd say once she becomes mouthy and starts to bite after you tell her no bite or try to redirect her with a toy or bone is to take her into another room immediately away from the stimulation (people or whatever) wait a few minutes and introduce her back into the party so to speak and each time she starts to become mouthy repeat steps above and see how that goes I did this with my dog with much luck try it out and see what happends

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

If she's biting my feet, I tell her to get her toy or bone. (she can distinguish the words: toy, bone, or ball).
    there ya go!! When she's biting, give her a toy or chew bone. redirect her attention. You are already doing this, but be consistent, and do it every single time she tries to bite. Give her something BEFORE she bites.

Zoe was a biter AND a jumper. Gawd did we have it bad during those puppy months.

As for jumping...teach *sit*
    catch her just before she jumps and say "sit" then treat her w/a high value treat or toy. If you already have a treat or toy in your hand and she wants it, and shows this to you by jumping. Say "sit" and then give it to her. One command (not "sit, sit sit!!") and a calm command (not "S...IIII....T!!!") this will only excite her more.

I have been where you are. Hired a pro behaviorist, and she said Zoe has 2 options...."sit or sit"

remember to be consistent. Jumping is never an okay thing.

hope this helps.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

redirect her.
    Sam came to us at 14 months mouthy as all get out. She mouthed everyone she met. As a consequence, non dog people thought she was being aggressive, when really she was just being over friendly. We solved it by redirecting her with rawhide chews. Costco has a big bag of retriever rolls. Sometimes she needed peanut butter or cheese to get started, but they also kept her busy for half an hour or so. It took a few months, but she's 6 now and we haven't had a problem with her being mouthy in years.