how do you train a hunting dog?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you train a hunting dog?

lab_koda is offline Junior Member

Defaulthow do you train a hunting dog?

hi members, i have a 7 month old lab that comes from a hunting line. i would like to train her to hunt for me but i dont know where to start.i've been thinking about having someone train her for me, but it costs so much. i really don't know where to start or how to do it. i've never trained a dog in my life. i've taught her the basics but she so young that she has a hard time staying still and gets excited easily. any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by lab_koda; 07-15-2010 at 10:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

My hubby and I started with the Evan Graham DVDs...

MurphySullyHogan

wow, theres so many. where do i start?what would you recommend.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Usually, you follow a progression of steps from very basic OB, basic marks, steadying, hold, force fetch, whistle sit, basic casting, transition drills (lining and casting), swim-by, cheating singles, cold blinds and advanced marking concepts for a "do it all dog." Simple ducks in the decoys with no handling, is not nearly as involved. These "programs" can be as detailed, or basic, as you are willing to tackle.

I suggest you (in order of most detailed content and highest price to shortest/least expensive) get a copy of Mike Lardy's Total Retriever System, Evan Graham's Smartwork system, Stawski's Fowl Dogs 1 to 3 DVDs, Danny Farmer/Judy Aycock's Basics or Chris Akin's Duck Dog Basic's DVD. These range from about $400 to $40 bucks, the difference is in the amount of information presented, and how high your aspirations are for the dog. Lardy and Evan Graham's stuff will take you from puppy to FC if you have enough dog. Fowl Dogs is really popular with the hunting crowd, it should be about $90 for all 3 DVD's and take you through a finished hunting dog. If you are "totally adverse to adversives" then look at "The Wildrose Way" by Mike Stewart, although it would not be my choice to train a hunting or competitive dog.

That said, join your local retriever club. There will be an HRC or AKC club somewhere very near you. They will have regular training days and allow you to get hooked up with a local training group. Even if you have the best instructional material in the world, there is no substitute for a mentor who has "been there and done that." Let me know what your location is, and I may can put you in contact with a local HRC club. HRC is VERY hunting oriented.
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 07-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Hey thanks for the info Gulfcoast. I can read, but I understand it better when someone shows me how to do it that way I know if I'm doing it right or wrong. What does HRC stand for? I live in Saint Paul, MN.

Last edited by GulfCoast; 07-14-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

Thanks for your help GulfCoast, after looking at the information you provided I think I wil join a club. It will help me out a lot.

They will be glad to have you, and you will learn lots! Go ahead and get an extra chest freezer for training ducks.....
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

I saw that they also offer training sessions twice a month at a kennel place and a farm. Do you know if there is a charge for that if the club hosts it? I also checked on the place they are doing it at and they charge for training if someone wanted to do it, but I'm just wandering about members or how does it work?

You would have to check with the specific club. I have never seen a club charge anything for a training day, other than fees for birds if flyers are shot. Clubs frequently have training days on a pro trainer's grounds. This is done as a courtesy by the pro, and helps the pro attract clients.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast