how do you train a hunting dog? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you train a hunting dog?

lab_koda is offline Junior Member

oh I c. I was just wandering. So how do you train the dog to swim? or does it come naturally to them? My dog is kinda scared of the water hose when we are outside, and I've never taken her to the lake yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Stand in shallow water and call the dog to you where it can run without swimming, then go a little deeper. Helps to have another dog or two swimming for them to watch.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Alrite, thanks GulfCoast.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

You have gotten great advice so far. I am a fan of Evan Graham's series. Also, there are forums that you can go to that will help you. One of the best I have found is the Refuge Forums

Refuge Forums - Powered by vBulletin

There are many different subgroups to this site, scroll down until you get to the Gun Dog Forum and take a look. Also, there are "Flyway" Forums for each state. Evan Graham is a regular on the Gun Dog Forum.

Good luck!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Thanks for the info Belles Mom, I'll take a look.

GulfCoast do you think its too late to train my lab, shes only 7 months and I see other peoples having there dogs trained and fetching at thist ime. I'm pretty mad at myself for not know this information and concentrating on her training the moment I got her. I got her in december 09, which was too cold to do anything. Spring came along and it was too muddy, and of course I didn't know where to start with her til summer and enrolled her in petsmart puppy class was a bad outcome and waste of money. And she didnt even pass the class because she kept jumping on people. I'm hoping that someone point me in the right direction so that time is not wasted. I want to take her hunting with me by the time shes 1 yr old, but I have a feeling this will be impossible to do without the direction.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

It's never too late to start! Basic obedience is just as important as the hunt training, and will actually make the hunt training go easier. Classes at PetSmart are not necessarily the way to go (I am trying to be poilte here). Try finding a local dog club, obedience club or kennel club that offers classes. There may be people there that are also into hunt tests and hunting.

Force fetching is usually not done until the dog is at least 6 months old anyway, when the adult teeth are in. If you follow a training system (such as Evan Graham's) it will make things go a little easier, because it is all laid out for you step by step. Add to that the training days at your HRC club and you can keep nice and busy this summer getting your dog trained. If you work at it consistently, and your dog has some natural talent you should be able to get out hunting with her this fall. She may not be a finished dog at that point, but should be able to get the job done and some valuable experience under her collar! (That looks like a good price for Evan's stuff)

Do you plan on ecollar training her? Where are you located?
    Last edited by Belles mom; 07-15-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lab_koda View Post
    GulfCoast do you think its too late to train my lab, shes only 7 months and I see other peoples having there dogs trained and fetching at thist ime. I'm pretty mad at myself for not know this information and concentrating on her training the moment I got her. I got her in december 09, which was too cold to do anything. Spring came along and it was too muddy, and of course I didn't know where to start with her til summer and enrolled her in petsmart puppy class was a bad outcome and waste of money. And she didnt even pass the class because she kept jumping on people. I'm hoping that someone point me in the right direction so that time is not wasted. I want to take her hunting with me by the time shes 1 yr old, but I have a feeling this will be impossible to do without the direction.
    Its not too late!

I have judged a guy who takes shelter labs, gets the ILP listing on them so they can run HT's, and trains them for hunt tests (he keeps the dogs himself). You just get a good, sequential program, pretend the dog is a baby puppy, and start there. DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS. People do this with dogs that age, and up to 2 years old, all the time.

That is a good price on Evan's stuff, since you are buying it from Evan direct. Get the book "Smartworks Vol 1", too. His "Smartfetch" book and DVD is probably the best out there if you are going to Force Fetch your own dog.

You are probably not familiar with use of the e-collar. Evan's OB uses an e-collar very early and for a few things, in my opinion, I think are not necessary. It's neither wrong nor right, nor something to worry about. But its why a mentor from your local HRC club is important. So you can ask. Evan is very publically available on the Refuge Forums to answer questions about his stuff, if you have questions.

You are about to embark on a very fun journey, make a bunch of new friends, and meet a dog with enthusiasm you have never seen. I envy you for the fun you are about to have (and a few "I'm gonna yack, I think I broke my dog" moments, too).
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 07-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

I've never used an ecoller and don't plan on using one until I'm totally trained and informed about the use of it. I've read some things about it, and to me doesn't sound too good at the moment. But I don't want to start a debate here about the good and the bad of it, because I'm sure that it will come handy in the future; just not at the moment.

As for the training at petsmart, It was kinda expensive and I found obedience classes for puppys for less than that.

I live in Saint Paul,MN and I've found a few obedience clubs close by. Its just finding the time on the weekday/weekend to go visit it before enrolling her. With the support and motivation I'm getting on here is starting to pump me up and making me excited about the training.

I think I'll buy that Evan Grahams DVD and get started as soon as possible. I'm also thinking about joining the Land of Lakes HRC that you provided.

A couple of months ago I introduced her to pigeons and boy was she excited to chase that thing and hold it in her mouth.She wouldn't let go so my husband had to take it from her. So this gets me pretty excited that she is not afraid of pigeons. When we put the pigeon in the cage, she would sit there and watch it or try to get at the bird. I just can't wait to see her in action once shes fully trained.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast