Puppy Tooth Fell Out Or Snapped Off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Tooth Fell Out Or Snapped Off

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionPuppy Tooth Fell Out Or Snapped Off

Diesel happened to be gnawing on a wooden cabinet instead of his wide array of chew toys (of course!) as I corrected him & led him away from the cabinet I heard something drop out of his mouth. I knew that he would eventually lose his puppy teeth (he's just over 5 mos now) but I became concerned because this tooth was "empty". There was no root attached, it just looked like a cap, jagged edges of course so I wasn't sure if it was a natural progression or if he had snapped it on the cabinet he was chewing on.

I turned him onto his back to get a better look in his mouth and saw what looked like exposed root, a pulp of some sort or like a blood bubble, so like any new puppy mommy I freaked. It was Saturday evening of course so our regular Vet was closed, so I took him to the Emerg Vet where they didn't really have much of an answer & seemed to actually go by my ignorant assessment then more of a skilled "this is what it appears to be because we know what puppies go through". They gave me antibiotics & painkillers for him....$200 later...

I took him to our Vet today where she actually admitted to not knowing if it was a deciduous tooth loss or perhaps snapped off & he needs to come back on Wednesday on an empty stomach to do a dental xray & possible extraction if it was a tooth that did get snapped off obviously an exposed root would cause him pain & other issues. She took bloodwork today for a possible sedation on Wednesday. So, that visit was $150 & my quote for Wednesday's sedation, xray & extraction is around $300.

I would do anything for Diesel & money is really no object when it comes to my little guy but I am wondering if I over reacted & everyone is just following suit??

He is eating, chewing (toys!), drinking cold water, sleeping, playing, etc all normally so he doesn't appear to be in any pain. The area itself is less pulpy looking & does appear to have a bit of a tooth poking through. I went on Wikipedia & the following passage seems to suggest that when an adult tooth pushes out a baby tooth that the root doesn't necessarily follow but instead dissolves which suggests to me that the tooth that fell out that looks like a cap could possibly be completely normal...

"The erupting permanent teeth causes root resorption, where the permanent teeth push down on the roots of the deciduous teeth causing the roots to be dissolved and become absorbed by the forming permanent teeth. The process of shedding deciduous teeth and the replacement by permanent teeth is called exfoliation."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deciduous_teeth

Can anyone advise about the puppy teeth you have found? Did they come with a root attached or is it just an empty shell of a tooth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Given Diesel's age, it is more than likely a baby (primary/deciduous) tooth that fell out. Much like human baby teeth, the erupting adult tooth resorbs the root of the baby tooth, the baby tooth becomes loose and eventually falls out.

I found a few of Ollie's baby teeth (and one of Henery's), and they were as you described... basically a shell of a tooth, with a ragged edge where the root was resorbed.

I would hazard a guess that the "pulp" like thing you saw may have been gingiva (gum) that had grown into the hollow bit of the baby tooth (we sometimes see this if the adult tooth is not right behind the baby tooth), which of course would have been bleeding when the baby tooth came out.

I hope that that is all it was for Diesel, and that he didn't actually fracture one of his adult teeth (having gone through two extractions for fractured upper premolars on Henery, it's no fun).

Quote Originally Posted by Henery&Ollie's mom View Post
    I hope that that is all it was for Diesel, and that he didn't actually fracture one of his adult teeth (having gone through two extractions for fractured upper premolars on Henery, it's no fun).
    My goodness your Labs are handsome! Thanks for your input, I went by my much calmer hunch... that & a glance this morning at his mouth & realized that the Wikipedia explanation made the most sense. I do see a tooth pushing through a much clearer gumline today. I called the vet & explained what I discovered via Wikipedia & they simply said "well that makes sense". Would've been nice had they told me that in the beginning! Oh well, I'd rather err on the side of over caution with Diesel than make assumptions he is fine, but I will try to calm myself iin future incidents instead of entering a state of 'omg my baby is hurt!' panic mode!

One odd behaviour to note however is he does tend to stress out quite a bit when there is excessive contact with his mouth. He starts grinding his teeth! Not just a horrible sound to bear but it must be killing his canines (that is where the grinding occurs). It happened at the vet and again tonite at puppy class when we tried out a 'gentle leader' for his leashing options. He certainly does not like his snout to be a focal point at any time! My RMT noted I have developed tendonitis in my shoulder no doubt due to the harness option I chose for D... I just hate the choking sound he makes when I use a regular collar. But, now that he seems to be more adapt to walking on a leash I can maybe introduce a regular collar for him again.

Ah, the joys of being a new puppy mommy!! So much to learn!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Diesel's a cutie!! I'm glad it was just a baby tooth that fell out! It's hard not to go into panic mode when it comes to our labs... I am so overprotective that it's probably not healthy!! lol!

Some dogs can't get used to the GL head halter. Henry, my yellow, would completely shut down whenever I put it on him. Ollie would buck like a bronco. The Sense-ation/Sense-ible harness (GL makes a similar one called the Easy Walker?) are great alternatives. I have ones for both the boys. These are different from traditional harnesses where the leash clips onto the dog's back (which actually encourages a dog to pull) as the leash clips onto the dog's chest. It's the same principle as the head halter, just goes around their body instead. It's not an easy-fix to pulling, but it's like having power steering, and with a 90lb 2-year-old (Ollie), it helps a great deal!!

Good luck!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Holy cow.

May I suggest you get a good dog home veterinary/first aid book - there are a bunch of choices on Amazon. I know you want to do the right thing for your puppy but taking him to the e-vet because a tooth fell out is overreaction. If your dog is not seriously ill or in pain that needs urgent attention - IMO a trip to the e-vet is excessive.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

So was this a molar (back tooth) ? I've found "caps" from molars. I'd suspect canines to be falling out about now too, however, so just asking. The canines I've found are just the "fangs". I don't believe I've ever seen a root attached to a baby tooth. My 15 wk old just lost her first upper/center the other day, so it all starts here again...

In the words of my very first vet, if the pup is happy, eating, and active, it's probably nothing too important. Save your $$$ for the important stuff. Anne

banoel is offline Senior Member

I've found about six of Miles' baby teeth...couple fangs and a molar. The molar does look like a shell of a tooth. I never looked inside to see what the "hole" looked like. Just assumed this was the teething process. Just as a side note to you...Diesel may get diarrhea (sp?) during this time. Miles sure did.
    - Never trust a dog to guard your food -

Beck's Frequent Flyer (Miles) 1/26/10
    Beck's Keepin' It Simple, JH (Simon) 4/25/07
    Noel's Duncan Delight, CDX (Duncan) 1/28/97 - 10/30/08 (Miss you big guy)

Thanks for all the input... yes BBD, I did overreact however it was the e-vet that told me to rush him in when I described what did sound to them like it was an emerg... an exposed root would have been something serious enough if it were the case, it would have caused him significant pain. Seeing the blood bubble in his mouth perhaps a wipe with a gauze would have given me a better look at what was really going on but I didn't want to touch what looked like an aggravated area.

I am guilty as charged of being an overprotective mommy. I have never had the responsibility of raising a living creature from 9wks of age before... not human, canine nor feline. Perhaps part of the overprotectiveness stems from my very first week with Diesel...

On our 4th day together, I took him out for a potty break where he started to violently vomit. Up came all of his breakfast, I at first assumed indigestion. Well, when the vomitting continued over a 15 minute period and included him whimpering, falling over in lethargy & finally vomitting bile & blood, I rushed him to the vet. An xray showed he had swallowed a foreign object. The metal part that showed on the xray displayed it was lodged at the base of his stomach that leads to his intestines. They sent us to the emerg vet for an endoscopy procedure as due to his age & not knowing what the object was the vet didn't think we should let it pass through his system. The e-vet extracted an entire puppy collar. It was identical to the one that Diesel was (still) wearing but pink instead of blue. Hmmm, the breeder had tons of pups running around, boys wore blue, girls wore pink. He had been a very quiet boy from the moment I met him. Well let me tell you, once that collar was extracted he was the complete opposite. As he was the only pup in my care, I certainly don't have extra collars laying around my house & no need for pink as he is a boy. At 9wks he obviously hadn't had all his shots yet so he was not exposed to much in terms of public areas where he would have picked this up nor was he ever left alone long enough to ingest such an item. The poor bugger couldn't even get a leaf or twig down without me fish hooking it out.

So, after this incident, I became a very protective mama. I realize that other than the collar incident, which I feel I acted as I should have, some of my reactions are at the detriment of my wallet. He relies on me to protect him, love him, feed him, shelter him & overall look out for his best interest. In return he gives me unconditional love, adoring looks, sloppy kisses, cuddles & laughs. The tooth incident has taught me alot, I agree unless there is an obvious injury or sounds/signs of pain that I need to take a minute to think before I act. I will be investing in a good vet home care book so I can inform myself of the typical things that pups go through.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

OMG! The breeder had actual collars on them? Who does that? Some breeders do put yarn or ric rac on the puppies in different colors - but not real collars. I'm astonished.

What did they say when you called them? (or did you call them). IMO- they need to at least share that bill with you and stop that practice.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    What did they say when you called them? (or did you call them). IMO- they need to at least share that bill with you and stop that practice.
    I emailed the breeder, the response was something to the affect of... 'as per our contract I am not responsible for your veterinary bills after purchase... there is no way this took place in my home, I am an experienced breeder, etc, etc... however since you have only had him for less than a week and incurred close to $2,000 in e-vet bills, I am willing to refund you half the purchase price of the puppy'

So she gave me $400... quite frankly I didn't take this as a good will gesture, more so a case of if she takes what I offer she can't come back to claim anything else. Unfortunately it would have been hard to prove precisely how it happened, my word against hers, bottom line Diesel survived. I took the $400.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast