Peeing on our Bed!

Thread: Peeing on our Bed!

stibach is offline Junior Member

DefaultPeeing on our Bed!

Hello Everyone,

I have a 7 month old female, spayed yellow lab who I got when she was 5 months. As she wasn't crate/house trained, we have been working hard on that - and we've managed fairly well. If she does have any peeing accidents, she pees inside near the back door (our fault for not watching she needed to go out!). She sleeps on our bed at night (on the floor if it's hot).

Yesterday, she peed right on the bed on my hubby's side in the middle of the day - and she had been out and peed less than one hour before (we watch her outside). We were both around upstairs - and I just caught the tail end of it. What would have caused her to do this? Is she likely to do it again? We just can't believe it - we thought dogs didn't pee where they slept? We had earlier brought out a suitcase for our son's trip today - but she's never seen a suitcase before, so didn't think that would be the cause. Otherwise, everything is the same as it's been for the past two months!

Any help you can give us would be appreciated - we've learnt a lot from this forum so far!

Thanks,
    Stephanie (Belle's Mom)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

all_about_kimber is offline Senior Member

I think its her trying to be the boss saying its her bed and not yours you might want to stop her from sleeping on the bed for a few nights so she knows its not her bed.

Amy & Kimber

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would think UTI or spay incontinence before I would assume some sort of power play. If she has more than a couple of accidents I would get her checked by a vet. A puppy that age should be able to hold it for several hours.

And - you would be very wise to crate train her. It is worthwhile to have a dog who you can reliably crate when you need to (like if she is recovering from an injury/surgery or you have to crate her at another person's house). I would not allow that young a dog not well house trained to sleep in a bed.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I would think UTI or spay incontinence before I would assume some sort of power play. If she has more than a couple of accidents I would get her checked by a vet. A puppy that age should be able to hold it for several hours

Agree.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

brody is offline Senior Member

yup a one off can happen - but watch her carefully and see

our young guy peed on the bed once so I blamed him the net time the bed was wet - even though he doesn't have access without us - turns out it was an aging cat

a simple urine test is pretty easy and cheap (relatively) so don't worry about getting a proper check if needed
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

stibach is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all your replies - she's been very good in the past couple of days - so we're going to wait another day or so before we take her to the vet if needed. And because she is good in the crate during the day while we're at work - we think maybe it was a one-time thing. But we will watch carefully, and definitely restrict her access to our bedroom for awhile.

Thanks!

superlab is offline Junior Member

Peeing in a bed also means she is acting out and is mad at you for some reason. I had a dog that did this once when we had people over and she was being ignored. So to get attention she jumped up on the bed and peed.