Help w/ New Animal Rescue

Thread: Help w/ New Animal Rescue

YellowLightning is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp w/ New Animal Rescue

2 weeks ago we brought home a 10 month old female lab mix. Her name is Belle and is a total sweetheart who shows lots of love. In the beginning she pulled a bit on her collar so we got a prong/ chock collar and she has been able to go for a walk without any tugging. We taught her sit and lay down and has followed me around closer than my shadow does!

In the last 3 days though she has been acting weird. When taking her out in the back yard at night without a leash she started to be hesitant in going out and coming back in. The last 2 nights she has refused to come back in and when I try to get close to her to hook the leash she runs off. It takes quite a while to get a hold of her and I have to pick her up and hold her just to get the leash on.

She also has refused to go into her kennel the last 2 nights. The first night when I instructed her to get in her kennel she started to walk away until I walked in front of her. Last night she literally ran away and I had to chase her down and put her in her kennel. She tends to fall asleep under my chair every evening before I put her into her kennel.

She has a squeaky football and a knot-rope to play with. We play fetch, tug of war, and go for walks every evening. She gets fed twice a day and gets treats throughout the day.

Well in 2 weeks she has completely destroyed the rope into shreds and the football is in pieces. She has started to find things around the house and chew them up. She has also been acting aggressive with jumping on me and furniture and snapping at me a bit.

She still wags her tail and begs for attention most of the day but I'm just wondering what has started this bad behavior and failure to listen.

Any suggestions for this first time dog owner are very appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Keep in mind she's still a puppy. She may be testing limits with the crate. I would give her a treat when you put her in-always make it positive-no force. We still use treats or a peanut butter-filled kong with our 9-month old. Eventually they get it. If she jumps and snaps at you try turning you back on her and ignoring her. My 3-year old can be funny about coming in the house-sometimes I have to leave the door ajar and he comes right in on his own-figure it's a quirk. Make sure your pup gets plenty of exercise-walking on leash, retrieving, not just time in the back yard.This should help. Patience and perserverance will pay off.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

If you like to read, I'd suggest Positive Perspectives by Pat Miller and Culture Clash. Both are great books about dog behavior and training.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Sounds like the honeymoon is over-- very typical for rescues to show their true colors at ~ 2wks. I'd suggest enrolling her in a good obedience class asap. IMO, a good balance between positive AND negative training is best for these. I fostered a number for years, and found some require a bit stronger leadership than my dogs ever needed. If they've had no rules for months, they need clear and to the point leadership.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

This is a copy of a post I've often made:

I strongly suspect that your pup is getting WAY too LITTLE exercise.

Labs are high energy dogs and they need daily vigorous exercise -- not just a leashed daily walk or alone time in the fenced backyard, but the opportunity to run, chase, play, retrieve, etc. (The generally accepted rule of thumb for Labs is 5 minutes for each month of age up to a year. But learn to "read" your Lab. When they're bored then they start chewing table legs, wall board, etc. As a young pup, Puff needed 2 doses of that, 8-12 hours apart.)

The lack of adequate daily vigorous exercise is often been said to be the #1 reason for rehoming or giving up ownership of a Lab.

Teaching a Lab to retrieve is an easy way to provide them with exercise without exhausting the owner.

My Puff is almost 9 years old and I take her for a daily offleash hour walk in a nearby nature preserve early every morning. I walk 2 miles, Puff gets 30 or more retrieves, some from slinging her training dummy, some from dropping it on the trail and sending her back to fetch it (that gives her longer runs than my slinging it). Some days she gets more exercise later.

Result?

She dozes until she hears me about to do something (go for the car, go outside, etc.) and then she's by my side.

With my previous Lab, Bess, I lived near a pond which gave us the opportunity after work to use daily swimming retrieves which are an even better exercise than the dry land fetching. Probably 30 minutes of swimming retrieves is about equal to fifty minutes of walking and retrieving on land depending on how many retrieves with either.

While daily exercise sessions are good for your Lab, they're also good for you. Many recent scientific studies have shown that dog owners are healthier than non-dog owners and the presumed reason is because the dog owners also get exercise from giving it to their dogs. You'll be healthier, your dog will be more comfortable to live with, when you fit this into your daily schedule.

Maybe there are a few places that don't have ponds or nature preserves for daily exercise? Not a problem. Find a fenced in school yard or ball field to use for retrieving a training dummy or chasing a Chuck-it! ball (BUT be sure you pick up any fecal deposits your dog makes). And/or find a neighbor with a fenced backyard and a sociable friendly dog (an active Lab would be ideal) with which your Lab can have a daily playdate for an hour so both can get pooped from chasing and wrestling each other. Or find a "Bark Park" (AKA "Dog Park") in your area. When I take trips with Puff, I stop at a rest area every 2 hours and give her 10-15 minutes of retrieving. It keeps me fresh and it helps her stay calm.

Training dummies are sold at a variety of online places including this: w w w.gundogsupply.com I buy the 2x12" "Lucky Dog" vinyl training dummies. (DO NOT LET YOUR DOG CHEW ON THEM LIKE A CHEW TOY; USE THEM ONLY FOR RETRIEVING.)

Chuck-it is also sold at many places online or in local pet stores. For example see Amazon for Chuckit-Launcher

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

YellowLightning is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. We played with her a whole lot more the last couple of days and even got her some great toys to keep her occupied during they day when she is in the house. She started being "bad" again last night. I think our biggest problem is too many family members giving her different commands for the same thing. She has no consistency and is starting to ignore everyone. I'll be signing us up for a training class this week.