SAR Questions!

Thread: SAR Questions!

emilyp1982 is offline Junior Member

QuestionSAR Questions!

Hi, I realize this may be in the wrong place but I am new here and don't quite know where stuff goes! I have a 5 week old female named Dixie. She is smart and energetic and already loves to play fetch! I would like to train her to be a search and rescue dog but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I know she has to attend puppy obedience classes first and I have found one in my area! I have done some research and found out that there is no SAR dog team anywhere near my area so I don't know who i should talk to. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I realize it is pretty early seeing as she is still quite young but I would like to at lest get a plan of action in the works!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Emily - unfortunately your research did not include finding out that your puppy should still be with her siblings in the litter at 5 weeks. Most puppies are barely weaned at 5 weeks. Puppies who leave the litter before 8 weeks (which is illegal in many states) often have more behavioral issues like extreme mouthiness and may have some trouble interacting appropriately with other dogs. The time spent in the litter is critical to proper socialization.

SAR is pretty advanced training and not all dogs are suited to it. Once your puppy is old enough for a class (after she has all her shots) you can start on this long road. Once you have her through the first level of obedience you may have a better idea about her suitability to be an SAR dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Sharon, Maybe Emilyp is the breeder of the pup. Just tossing that out, I have no idea if that's the case though but since I breed, it ran thru my head.
    Emilyp, it may be helpful to tell us what part of the country you are in. Many of the SAR folks I know have certain training protocols, and allow no cross training, so you may want to keep that in mind. Anne

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Sharon, Maybe Emilyp is the breeder of the pup. Just tossing that out, I have no idea if that's the case though but since I breed, it ran thru my head.
    Emilyp, it may be helpful to tell us what part of the country you are in. Many of the SAR folks I know have certain training protocols, and allow no cross training, so you may want to keep that in mind. Anne
    That's true Anne. Never thought of that aspect. Sorry if I got it wrong Emily.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.