How do you stop your puppy from non-stop barking and also stealing things?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you stop your puppy from non-stop barking and also stealing things?

MyPupsHandsome is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow do you stop your puppy from non-stop barking and also stealing things?

These are the two things that bother me the most, as far as behavior.

He steals all sort of things around the house, things he should NOT be chewing. Some of which could endanger his life.

I don't let him loose when we are gone, but even when we are home, he will steal stuff.

He's 5 1/2 months old.

Also... he barks ALOT! He'll bark when he's cooped up in the kitchen or alone outside.

Even if I tie him up and I'm in the yard, but not within 20 feet of him.. where he can reach me, he'll bark!

How does one get the dog to stop barking?

I wouldn't mind if he just barking randomly but this is a continual bark and it drives us nuts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

My 1st question would be how much exercise does he get? Also try giving him a stuffed kong at home..ignore barking behaviour.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Ignore on the barking seems to work. To acknowledge it and give him the response he is looking for only reinforces it. Its tough to work through, but not being consistent will destroy any progress you have made.

Stealing things. Oh! This is bad. A Lab that steals things and chews them up. How terrible. You are going to have to fix that right away. This is an intolerable behavior. You will need a training aid. The best and cheapest one I know of is a rolled up newspaper. The tighter you roll it up, the better it will work.

Okay, Now the next time you catch him with something he stole, grab that newspaper. Then as hard as you can, hit yourself in the head. Multiple times if necessary to pound into your head to NOT LEAVE THINGS WHERE A LAB CAN GET THEM.

Your dog is normal at that age. YOU have to train yourself to keep things out of reach. Now, grab that newspaper and hit yourself really hard in the head to drive the message home.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

well, I cannot puppy proof the ENTIRE House! We have limited storage space in our place, and it's small, so not many places to stash EVERYTHING we own that he could snitch.

Nice to see that this is NORMAL behavior though for a lab puppy. Not sure I appreciate the sarcasm and requests to beat myself over the head with newspaper though,

As far as exercise, I think he gets a fair amount.. probably about 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day we walk him....

The lab puppies, esp the black ones, have so much energy though.. Even late at night, like 2 or 3 am he's still up, playing and carousing about....

And I've tried to just IGNORE the barking. What are you supposed to do? ignore a 20 min tirade of constant barking? You don't tell them NO or anything?

At the end of his barking sessions, I'm starting to feel like I need lithium or something to deal with this!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyPupsHandsome View Post

Nice to see that this is NORMAL behavior though for a lab puppy. Not sure I appreciate the sarcasm and requests to beat myself over the head with newspaper though,

Okay, the statements I made were sarcasm, well maybe. Seriously, your dog is normal. Thisis what a Lab is, and if you don't take the action to correct it now, it will last a lifetime. He shoudl grow out of it around 12-18 months of age, but so much depends on you. Since he contained when you are not home, another technique, although usually used for potty training, is to leash him to you at all times. Then you are there to correct whenever he decides to misbehave. Personally, I think puppy proofing is easier.

Comment on other subject to follow.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

As far as exercise, I think he gets a fair amount.. probably about 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day we walk him....

The lab puppies, esp the black ones, have so much energy though.. Even late at night, like 2 or 3 am he's still up, playing and carousing about....
    1 1/2 to 2 miles a day he is walked? Does this guy ever get the opportunity to run? Can you play fetch with him, even if he doesn't return the object and you have to go get it. Will be chase a ball. You have a barrel of energy that has to get burned. A tired Lab, or any dog, is a good dog.

There is no sarcasm in the above. It is dead serious stuff.

The lab puppies, esp the black ones, have so much energy though.. Even late at night, like 2 or 3 am he's still up, playing and carousing about.......
    Wow! Okay, you are trying to make a point, but the color is not a factor. It is just a hair color and there are no identifiable behavior differences based on color. Some dogs are more energetic that others, just like peeps, but yours does sound normal. If you put your mind and energy to it, you will survive and have the best dog in the world to you.

And I've tried to just IGNORE the barking. What are you supposed to do? ignore a 20 min tirade of constant barking? You don't tell them NO or anything?

At the end of his barking sessions, I'm starting to feel like I need lithium or something to deal with this!! ...
    Yes! That is exactly what you are going to have to do. He wants to be with you, he wants your attention. By responding in anyway, you are reinforcing the behavior. I am not suggesting it is easy. Maybe you need to take the lithium or something when he starts in order to get through it. (Okay, maybe a little sarcasm in that last sentence)

You don't think walking a dog 1 1/2 miles to 2 miles a day is enough exercise?

Ouch.. how many miles a day does a lab need to be walked? I know that's a vague issue, as they could probably walk for MILES and still not be tired!

it's just the way retrievers are. My golden could walk for miles and still not be worn out....

yes, he does get a chance to run loose in his yard.. and we do chase balls/sticks etc.. but how much time do I need to devote to letting him do this to stop the barking/stealing?
    half an hour? 10 minutes? I do have to go to work and get stuff done..

I take him for a good long walk in the morning before I start work and then once again after I get home. Does he need THREE walks a day? hmmm.... maybe he does!

So.. what am I supposed to do to puppy proof him as far as the barking?? understand this, I cannot ALWAYS have him with me, by my side, so "tethering" him to me is not an option.

Someone said that shaking a tin can full of pennies when they bark acts as a deterrent to barking.

Anyone try that yet?

So.. just by IGNORING him completely will make him stop barking??? Cuz that has not worked so far.

Yes, I'll tell him once or twice to stop barking, but then I will ignore it, but he'll still persist.

And YES! I do feel and have seen the black labs as much more energetic/hyper than the other colour labs! Definitely!

the yellow ones, I don't even feel have the same energy level, that I've met.. they are much calmer than the black ones.
    We had his sister in the same puppy training class as he was, and she was MUCH much calmer than him. Maybe cuz she was a girl, but I somehow don't think one sex is more hyper than the other!

Lots of questions and different issues.

Barking. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have tried the ignoring. A rattle can may help, the noise distracts them. Its cheap to try, just don't expect instant success. You are trying to distract them from whatever they are barking at. I believe this works when the dog hears a noise, smells something, or sees something. But the message I got from you is that he is barking at you for attention or release. I don't think it is going to work.
    You might try finding a behavior triner for individual help.
    They make 'Bark collars'. Some give off o tone(distraction), some give off a scent(another distraction), others are versions of an eCollar which give the dog a correction nick or shock. If this is a severe problem, you may have to go for the third option, the most expensive one of course.
    Exercise, i.e. fetching or some kind of full speed (dog speed) run. I play fetch with HK about 15 minutes in the morning and again in the late afternoon or evening. Evenings are getting tough now with the early darkness.

Not going to get intot he color and energy argument with you. We each go by our own exposure or look into the research on topics. Not worth an argument.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Dogs are pack animals, and want to be with their families - in this case, it's you. When you tie him up or leave him in the kitchen, he protests the isolation the only way he can - with barking. (Barking is also self-rewarding, and can be very difficult to control, either with punishment or reward)

Instead of babygating him in the kitchen, baby gate him in the room that you're in. He's a toddler now, and cannot have free roam of the house without supervision, so you need to figure a way out to supervise him safely.

He's a toddler now.. heheh.. yeah.. I guess so.. Ummm.. I don't want to give him free access without my being around in case he gets into everything, but I don't want to keep him penned up in the kitchen when I'm home all the time either.

I like having him around, he's good company, but just pretty mischievious. It's funny, though, a friend came over last nite and I was quite shocked at how mellow my pup was, while he was here. It's like he really likes being around people!

Well, the breeder had a small family so I think that's normal to him.. being around other dogs (there were lots of other dogs from the same family line still living at the breeder's home) and also kids and people!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast