3 Month Old Majorly Misbehaving
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Month Old Majorly Misbehaving

Cshipman83 is offline Junior Member

Default3 Month Old Majorly Misbehaving

So our 3 month old Daisy seems to have just turned the corner into a very very Bratty stage. She is just now big enough to jump on top of the furniture (couches, coffee table, counters etc). We feel like we have tried everything from shaking a coke can with pennies to grabbing her scruff. SHe has also started jumping at us and nipping. We were trying to work on some homework assignments from our puppy training class where we make her wait before she gets a treat and everytime we push her off for not waiting she lunges at us nipping. It is endlessly frustrating. SHe gets plenty of excercise during the day as my neighbor watches her and lets her play with her 3 labs most of the day.

I would welcome any suggestions for dealing with her during this stage.... My husband and I feel like she makes us want to lose it!

HELP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds like she needs some mental stimulation.

I would get her outside and play some fetch to get the edge off her energy level. Then do work with her on some commands. A little bit of tired helps with her being able to pay more attention.

The pennies in a can idea is a very good way to make your dog noise fearful. I sure hope that this was not recommended to you by the puppy class. It is "one size fits all" junk food training. The Alpha Roll is another tired useless method of managing your puppy's behavior - don't bother with that one either.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

What I did with Murphy is this. I'm no expert, but it worked. He drug a leash around a lot. I would have my hubby walk up to him with treats in his hand and say sit. If he jumped, I gently tugged him back down with the leash and my hubby would walk away. We repeated this until Murphy learned to approach someone and sit. That's how you get the treats. After he was good with him, we switched. Then we recruited family members to help too. It's all about consistency. If they think they might get away with it once, they will do it again. Also, remember that to them, jumping on someone standing or sitting is the same motion. So, remember not to let them put their feet on you when you are in a sitting position either. It's still jumping to them. Hope it helps. Hang in there. Most of us have been through it, at least once.

MurphySullyHogan

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Don't worry, this is just a stage!! You are on the right path by taking classes with her - good for you!! DON'T GIVE UP!!!

SHe gets plenty of excercise during the day as my neighbor watches her and lets her play with her 3 labs most of the day.
    What kind of exercise are you and your husband giving her? Fetch, walks? Daisy playing alone with other labs ain't gonna cut it!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Yes, I agree that it sounds like she needs some mental stimulation. I found that when Aila was at that age, she could run and play forever, but if we spent 1/2 hour a few times a day working on commands and even teaching her to do tricks, she was much calmer. I believe that puppies not only have to be physically tired, they also need to be brain-tired. Good Luck!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I would reward the good behavior.
    when she jumps up on furniture, give her a command, "off" or whatever your command is. Gently remove her from the furniture. Put her in a sit
    and say "good off!" and treat.
    You must be consistent.

as for jumping on you, I had a jumper. Our behaviorist told us, "Zoe has 2 options. To sit or to sit."
    when she jumps, tell her to sit. When she does, say "good sit!" and treat.

hope this helps, and good luck
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the Brat Stage!

I also have a youngster coming up on 3 mos tomorrow (and no one to complain to if I wanted since I'm the breeder, lol). This is an age I LOVE. They are so outgoing, so smart.... just little sponges and really, we only have another month of this perfect "learning" window left. Time is ticking!

Did you see my post on what Tango is learning? https://justlabradors.com/forum/lab-c...-labrador.html

That wasn't posted as a brag, but more for an eye opener on what puppies are capable of doing! People just don't give their smart pups enough credit so left to their own devices, the terrorist in them surfaces. It's great you are in a puppy class, but I hope it's fast moving, and not a big bore. Can you enroll your pup in a baby agility class? Interested in bird hunting or hunt tests at all? Tracking? This is the time to introduce all that. Now that Tango has had her 3rd combo this am, I can't wait til I can get her out to the ponds swimming in another week or so. Good luck and hang in there... Anne

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cshipman83 View Post
    So our 3 month old Daisy seems to have just turned the corner into a very very Bratty stage. She is just now big enough to jump on top of the furniture (couches, coffee table, counters etc). We feel like we have tried everything from shaking a coke can with pennies to grabbing her scruff. SHe has also started jumping at us and nipping. We were trying to work on some homework assignments from our puppy training class where we make her wait before she gets a treat and everytime we push her off for not waiting she lunges at us nipping. It is endlessly frustrating. SHe gets plenty of excercise during the day as my neighbor watches her and lets her play with her 3 labs most of the day.

I would welcome any suggestions for dealing with her during this stage.... My husband and I feel like she makes us want to lose it!

HELP!
    Welcome in the wondering world of the Labrador Retiever!

Actually, she's now in a age, that you should give her some loud and clear boundries, she cant cross .. So, not on the couch, coffee table or any other type of funiture!. About the jumping, if she jumps, forward youre knee in to her chest whitout harming her, if you do so, you can point her with youre knee in any type of direction you want get her in (putting youre knee out is always a misunderstanding, its not mentioned in the way of harming youye dog, but in safley rederecting her or him in the way you want them!)

lisa is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the world of puppies after the cute, quiet and cuddly stage. I think almost everyone here feels your pain. My Gracie was a jumper, nipper, counter surfer, destroy anything she could grab kind of dog ( she was the most quiet puppy the night I picked her up, so well behaved, not rough housing with her siblings)...that changed in a day or so. Get enrolled in a good puppy class. That shaking of the can and scruff roll is nonsense and I speak from experience. Gracie's first trainer was into all of that...it only made her worse. With Gracie I did not know much about the different aspects of training, as a came aboard here I learned a lot of helpful advice in this area. Lola my second lab got involved in a great group training class...all positive reinforcement, she and I enjoyed it soo much more. Practice commands, it def makes them mentally tired, more so than just running around. Lola would come home from class exhausted. Most important be consistent in whatever you do. Good luck, I can only promise it gets much better. Gracie, my little terror, is 18 months old now and she is a great dog...not perfect, but such a joy to be around. I was lucky with Lola, she has been a really good pup since the day she came home. Keep us posted

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

I wish i had till 3 months for my puppy to be a terror. I got her at 8 weeks and about day 2 of having her she started in. Jumping, biting, destroying things. If she is going to get worse in a few weeks then i might have to be committed for awhile... We start puppy classes Monday, man i hope that helps.

Amanda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast