Pinch collar - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinch collar

MuttX7 is offline Member

I only got it because my Lab is 13 months old and the previous owner did very, very little with him. He will pull like crazy with a normal collar or one of the soft choke collars. With the prong collar and using both the live and dead ring, he is heeling like he should. I plan on enrolling him in an obedience class as I've never tried to train a Lab older than 8 weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

victorytea is offline Member

You may be able to keep the pinch collar a short term remedy, good luck~~~

MuttX7 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorytea View Post
    You may be able to keep the pinch collar a short term remedy, good luck~~~
    Thanks. I'm going to use it, then put it on but walk him with the regular collar hoping to fool him for a little while then go to just the regular collar.

I am going to take him to obedience classes soon though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix is offline Senior Member

I still cant believe that there are people out there, who use such device on their dogs

Walking gentle on the lease, is also perfectly to train, and to learn for every dog .. And yes, i know that a Labrador can be a enthusiastic puller at a leash

MuttX7 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    I still cant believe that there are people out there, who use such device on their dogs

Walking gentle on the lease, is also perfectly to train, and to learn for every dog .. And yes, i know that a Labrador can be a enthusiastic puller at a leash
    Well it's not a choke collar, I don't hit my dog, I am not a dog trainer, and Diesel will be starting classes very soon so maybe I won't have to keep using it. He is a very enthusiastic puller and as I stated before, I do not believe the woman I got him from had worked on anything with him. The vet commented on how well behaved he is now and recommended a local trainer when I asked. I am keeping a close eye on how tight the collar is on him when I put it on. I don't believe it is harming him any as long as I make sure it's not too tight or too loose.

Felix is offline Senior Member

Oke, youre labrador is a rescue dog, so .. Mine is also a rescue dog type 'thing'

But, seriously .. Forget all the things from the past, and make a fresh start .. Realy, evry dog get's the message clearly over here: "NO pulling at the end of the leash!". Mostly i see people walking with their dogs and the humans are just bussy with all kind of stuff, except with their own dog .. And they still are complaining that they have a big puller or other unwanted 'things' a dog can do ...

And even with a choke or pinch collar, you can give the wrong signals to youre dog, and mostly that's what happens (see it all the time). And those collars are training tools and not a solution for 'life'

So, my personal opinion is, if it is just a training tool, and not a solution for 'life' .. Why not directly start training without such collars, but with a regulare leather or nylon collar

MuttX7 is offline Member

I get exactly what you're saying and the good news is Diesel starts obedience classes this Thursday. I'll get to learn along with him and hopefully everything will be cool. I did start him on the regular nylon collar but he tuggeg way too much. I was hoping to do like I said move from the prong to regular collar, the prong collar wasn't a long term solution in my mind. I'm a novice with training and I know that the classes he's enrolled in are the best way to learn alongside him. Sorry if I came across shitty or anything, I'm used to dealing with asshats on a different forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12