puppy biting - how to deal

Thread: puppy biting - how to deal

Carla is offline Member

Defaultpuppy biting - how to deal

Vader is 8 weeks old and I am a first time dog owner. I have an 8 year old son. My question is how do you handle puppy biting - isn't really a "bite" at all, more of a playful nip. I recognize that he is a baby and is learning and he thinks it is playing, but I do NOT want to encourage it as to ward off potentially aggressive behaviour later on.

Thanks in advance, you guys have been very helpful already.

Carla

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's good that you recognize that this is not aggressive behavior on the part of your puppy. He's a baby, he's teething and he played this way in the litter with his sibs. In addition - he is a representative of a breed that has been selectively bred for retreiving skills - they LIKE to have things in their mouths. It's normal.

He needs to learn from you what is appropriate behavior and what is not. He may respond to you simply withdrawing attention when he is nippy - stand, turn away from him (in as dramatic a fashion as you can), make a sharp sound when he nips (a lound YIPE or AHT-AHT). That will usually stop a low drive dog. If you have a more motivated puppy you may have to step up the "correction". A short time out in a crate to separate him long enough to cool down may work. Some people curl the dog's lip over a tooth and press gently - just to the point that the dog feels the ouch a bit. Tie a word/phrase to doing this - like "no bite" or similar. That may work.

Do give him appropriate chew items (nylabone, kong) and don't get your puppy all riled up as he is MUCH more likely to be mouthy then. Tug of war for a mouthy puppy is not a good idea.

Do initiate play - expecially fetch - to get him good and tired several times daily. Don't take him on long walks yet - he is too young for that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

victorytea is offline Member

Why wouldn't you take pup on long walks? If he is monitored and exhibiting proper behavior it helps to reduce overactive biting and jumping. It also helps to form a bond with your pup.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Well for a start, they wouldn't have had all their vaccs yet, but regardless of that, you shouldn't overexert your pup, they are still just babies. A standard rule for walk length is 5 mins for every month of their life, so a 6 month old would get a 30 minute walk etc

Quote Originally Posted by victorytea View Post
    Why wouldn't you take pup on long walks? If he is monitored and exhibiting proper behavior it helps to reduce overactive biting and jumping. It also helps to form a bond with your pup.
    Scorpion Abarth is right - long walks are not appropriate for 8 week old puppies. It's 5 minutes per month of age - work up to lengthy sessions.

And - taking an infant puppy off of the property, walking along public streets before they are fully immune to Parvo, Distemper and other disease is quite risky. Time spent around safe dogs (those who you know to be vaccinated) is fine. I think people should also hold their small puppies off the floor at the vet - you don't know what sick dog was there before yours - it's not like they are disinfecting the floor all day long. Parvo lives on surfaces - you don't have to have close contact with a sick dog for your puppy to get it.

Wow, I completely overlooked the reasons for a short walk. I'm learning a lot on this forum and I thank you for clarifying things for me. I think I will be a little quieter and read more.

Wow, I completely overlooked the reasons for a short walk. I'm learning a lot on this forum and I thank you for clarifying things for me. I think I will be a little quieter and read more.
    No reason to be quiet - your comments and questions just add to the dialog. We have too many lurkers here.

Thanks Sharon, I get your drift. , Since I've been out of training for 30 yrs now- are there any good dvd's that deal with just basic obedience? I want to get her started and really do not like to have a dog that will not come when I call her. I have her sitting pretty well now and next I intend to teach stay. From there I plan to move to the "come" command with a rope and plenty of repetition. I imagine things have changed nd better methods have been developed. Thanks

Thanks Sharon, I get your drift. , Since I've been out of training for 30 yrs now- are there any good dvd's that deal with just basic obedience? I want to get her started and really do not like to have a dog that will not come when I call her. I have her sitting pretty well now and next I intend to teach stay. From there I plan to move to the "come" command with a rope and plenty of repetition. I imagine things have changed nd better methods have been developed. Thanks
    Not a dvd - although there are probably good ones out there. I like the philosophy of Patricia McConnell. Dog Training Books, Dog Training, Dog Behavior, Puppy Training | Patricia McConnell
    I see she does have a DVD on the site - but read her puppy book. She is very thoughtful and (I think) offers great insight into the behaviors and learning processes of dogs.