Is my dog ready for a section of the kitchen?

Thread: Is my dog ready for a section of the kitchen?

MrGame is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs my dog ready for a section of the kitchen?

Im thinking of gating off part of the kitchen for him instead of his crate and gradually bringing him up to run of the house (over a year or so). Is 6 months too young to do this? The only thing in the area i want to give him that concerns me is an AC vent with a slightly loose screw, I want to make sure I fix that before I put him back there

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lily is offline Member

Hey, we all have a screw loose.
    Lily at 5 months old at Wrightsville Beach, NC

Tanya is offline Senior Member

It is less about age and more about hte dog. Some pups will NEVER be left out of their crate. Others, once trained (house trained) never really NEED to be crated. Some are great uncrated for awhile then start getting into trouble again.

Make sure you properly dog proof and area and try for a short period (20 mins or less) and see. It may also depend how much exercise hte pup was had (so maybe on a day when he is well exercise he is fine, but on a day that you had to cut short on exercise he will get into trouble).

So make sure to put away anything edible (actual food) and non-edible that could be eaten by a dog (cuz they are labs!). And be ready to be "ok" with any potential damage he may cause on the trial (i.e. chewing on cupbards/making a mess).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Frankly - I think you are better off leaving in a crate until you are ready to really give him freedom. Most dogs are just fine with their crate. My 10 month old asks to sleep in his crate at night - it's comforting for him.

If you confine in a larger area, (like a blocked off section) you are assuming that the dog will respect the enclosure that (I assume) has no top. Most Labs can very easily clear an x-pen. You run the risk of the dog chewing up cabinets, the walls or any surface he can access. Sometimes more space = anxiety.

I'd continue to crate while you are out of the house. I will do so until Blaise is 18 months or so.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Lily is offline Member

Lily was crated until about 5 months, when I started giving her a little more freedom. Rather than be crated in the kennel in my bedroom, she was given access to the full master bedroom and bathroom with the crate open and available. She's been in that plan for 2 1/2 months and everything has been fine. The bedroom is puppy-proofed, but there's no sign she's tried to do anything she shouldn't have.

I turn on the TV and ceiling fan so there is noise and air circulation so she doesn't get spooked by every noise from outside. Not sure if it really helps ... but it makes me feel better.
    Lily at 5 months old at Wrightsville Beach, NC

MyPupsHandsome is offline Junior Member

I have actually had my lab puppy have the run of the kitchen (with a puppy gate in place) since I got him!

He was almost house-broken when I got him... the breeder had the pups out in a kennel outside, maybe that was why.... but he's only had like 5-6 accidents in the house since i got him!

I really would LIKE to get him OUT of the kitchen, maybe into the living room, but he's still chewing everything in sight... Argggh...

I had my other dog in a crate, and I just don't like crate training. It seems like a prison to a good-sized dog...

I'm starting to think he needs to be outside instead of in the kitchen, he's got so much energy. When the cold weather sets in, and the bears disappear, I might do that.