Help! Puppy is jumping and biting

Thread: Help! Puppy is jumping and biting

Cshipman83 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! Puppy is jumping and biting

Hey Guys! Daisy is now 11 weeks old and has started jumping and biting (playfully of course) with no intent to hurt anyone but her sharp little teeth still break the skin. How can we stop her from jumping and nipping.

We go back to obedience class next Sunday but was hoping to get some answers sooner!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

I am no expert, but this is what I do. I always have my puppies drag a leash around. This makes jumping much easier to correct. Does Daisy know "sit" yet? If so, practice having someone walk up to the puppy and say sit. If Daisy jumps, tug them gently back down with the leash and have the other person walk away. Try again, when Daisy sits, have the person give her a treat. The object is to get Daisy to think "if I sit when someone walks up to me, I will get a treat". After they master it with others, give the leash to someone else. You don't want Daisy to think she only has to behave when you have the leash. Hope it helps!!!

Dragging the leash around the house also helps when they get something they can't have. Easier to catch them than running around and around the couch.

Hang in there!!!!

MurphySullyHogan

Cshipman83 is offline Junior Member

Thanks that's very helpful. It happens more to my husband when he is sitting on the floor with her she gets so exciting that she begins jumping at his face and play nipping. We firmly say "No!" but she doesn't seem to understand...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

No expert here, but I do believe that young dogs jump for attention, the biting is just something they have to learn is not aceptable.

We never acknowledged a jump. All she got was our back turned to her and NO acknowledgement. She got a treat or petted when she calmed down.

Biting is tougher. Never allow her mouth around your skin. You can try turning her lip over her teeth, such that if she bites down on you, she is biting herself also. Screaming Ouch, or whatever when she bites, walking away from her, whatever it takes. It will get better, but you can speed it up by ding some of these things.

The key is consistency. Whatever you decide to try, you need to hold fast to it and not give in. They are just like human kids, they will figure out how to work you if you don't figure out how to control them.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

I do use the loud screech for the biting too. I make it sound something like a yelp (something they might understand??). I agree about consistency. It's the key to nipping those behaviors now. You are smart in not letting the puppy get older doing it. Much easier to correct at a younger age.

MurphySullyHogan

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Yes the biting with those needle teeth....Oh boy we are having a time too. Toby is so fast and can grab your ankle in a heartbeat...OUCH!

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cshipman83 View Post
    Hey Guys! Daisy is now 11 weeks old and has started jumping and biting (playfully of course) with no intent to hurt anyone but her sharp little teeth still break the skin. How can we stop her from jumping and nipping.

We go back to obedience class next Sunday but was hoping to get some answers sooner!

Thanks!
    Jumping could be a various types of behaviour, 'we' must see that on the moment she does do that trick .. But, about that biting, if she bites to hard, yell loud: "AUCH!" .. And stop on what youre doing at that moment (end of the game), and just ignore here for a while (no talking, no eye contact, and no touching) .. Thats the way dogs learn from each other on how far they can go amongst them ...

TimC is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    No expert here, but I do believe that young dogs jump for attention, the biting is just something they have to learn is not aceptable.

We never acknowledged a jump. All she got was our back turned to her and NO acknowledgement. She got a treat or petted when she calmed down.

Biting is tougher. Never allow her mouth around your skin. You can try turning her lip over her teeth, such that if she bites down on you, she is biting herself also. Screaming Ouch, or whatever when she bites, walking away from her, whatever it takes. It will get better, but you can speed it up by ding some of these things.

The key is consistency. Whatever you decide to try, you need to hold fast to it and not give in. They are just like human kids, they will figure out how to work you if you don't figure out how to control them.
    I second this statement here this is what i did with my other dog when she was a pup usually folding of the arms and turning your back to the dog with no acknowledgment to the pup at all or in some cases even walk out of the room for awhile and return a few minutes later