Jumping and Nipping....Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping and Nipping....Help

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultJumping and Nipping....Help

OMG I am trembling. One of my husband's friends dropped by unexpectedly tonight and he had his daughter with him. She was 11 and a very sweet child. I kept the dogs in at first but she said sheliked dogs and I let them out. Parker jumped up on her dad just once and we yelled for him to get down. He brought the girl his jolly ball and she was going to throw it for him so I said let's go in the back so he will have some room. So I took her around back and I threw the ball. He got it and brought ib adk ran around a bit. She threw it for him and he ran to get it and brought it back Then she went out in the yard and started running around and he went up and jumped and jumped and jumped on her, tried to nip her nose, wouldn't stop. I had to go out and get in front of her and make him stop. I then let her sit on the swing and calm down she was sobbing, I said let's go back around front and I started to walk her around and he started the jumping again. She yelled he bit me. My heart fell to my feet but I made him go inside and took her around front. I check out her leg, didn't see anything, even a scratch so obviously he did n't really bite her. But he scared the poor girl to death. And I was so disappointed and angry with him. Is there something I can do about this behavior. Now like I said he is as good as gold with my grandons but they are smaller and do not run like that and we have told them not to run in the yard. Please help. I'm so afraid of him biting someone else and having to be put down. My heart would be broken. He isn't really biting, but nipping but a nip is a bite is a nip and I know that. BTW Parker will be 3 in July.
    Last edited by mombear; Yesterday at 10:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Thank you for this post. We have this problem with Moka but he is only 7 months old. It has so far only been when a visitor shows up. He usually calms down after 10 mins or so and I have yet to see him jump at any children, however I am not sure we have experienced them running around in the yard with him out there. I will be checking out these links regardless.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

a child should NOT be allowed to run in your yard ... given Parker's history I would be by HYPER vigilant on this one ...I suspect he just got over excited but his reaction was way over the top - however how can he know what is expected of him if he's never been in the situation before? He wasn't trying to dissapoint you - simply have some Parker fun

he did bite the girl - blood is not needed to be bitten
    I hope she's ok
    he can be slowly desensitised to children doing weird things but it would need a well laid out plan and regular work ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    he did bite the girl - blood is not needed to be bitten
    While I understand what you're saying, you can't say that for definite - no one can as we weren't there. Regardless, Mombear knows some things need to be worked on and she will do that, but that comment can only make someone already traumatised, feel worse

ETA - that was intended in a friendly tone, just in case it doesn't read that way

it doesn't read that way

I can only base my comments on the information we see - and what I know about dog bites

Ian Dunbar's Bite Assesment Scale

Level 1- Dog growls, lunges, snarls-no teeth touch skin. Mostly intimidation behavior.

Level 2- Teeth touch skin but no puncture. May have red mark/minor bruise from dog’s head or snout, may have minor scratches from paws/nails. Minor surface abrasions acceptable.

Level 3- Punctures ˝ the length of a canine tooth, one to four holes, single bite. No tearing or slashes. Victim not shaken side to side. Bruising.

Level 4- One to four holes from a single bite, one hole deeper than ˝ the length of a canine tooth, typically contact/punctures from more than canines only. Black bruising, tears and/or slashing wounds. Dog clamped down and shook or slashed victim.

Level 5- Multiple bites at Level 4 or above. A concerted, repeated attack.

Level 6- Any bite resulting in death of a human.

seems to fit level 2 to me ??? " he went up and jumped and jumped and jumped on her, tried to nip her nose, wouldn't stop"

having been around and helpful the last time Parker had some issues I don't appreciate your implication that I am trying to traumatize anybody - it is CRITICAL that Parker not have the opportunity to rehearse or repeat this behaviour - not matter if that's through management, desensitization or training - it may be blunt but I usually am blunt when a dog's life is on the line..

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

As I said, I specifically wrote it was intended in a friendly manner (and didn't say you were trying to traumatise anyone) - I have no issue with your other points and agree the protection of a dog is paramount. I was simply saying that we can speculate all we like, but none of us were there so nobody can state anything as fact, that is all. I won't post again as it is of no use to the OP

OP - I can appreciate how awful the incident must have been for you and hope you understood what I meant in my initial post

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpianAbarth View Post
    As I said, I specifically wrote it was intended in a friendly manner (and didn't say you were trying to traumatise anyone) - I have no issue with your other points and agree the protection of a dog is paramount. I was simply saying that we can speculate all we like, but none of us were there so nobody can state anything as fact,

actually you did "but that comment can only make someone already traumatised, feel worse"

and my goal wasn't to make Mombear feel worse but to help her really truly understand how important it is to get this behaviour under control
    Mombear has been struggling with Parker for nearly 3 years - and the dog SHOULD not have had the opportunity to attack the girl no matter if it was in play or prey or aggression ... I'm sorry MB but obviously Parker can't yet be trusted to maintain self control under exciting circumstances

I wish I could sugar coat it and say I know he didn't mean anything - he'll get better - yada yada but that would be doing you and him a disservice

are you still working on the things you did in class with him or have you guys kind of eased off? (pretty natural when that occurs) I'd put him back into work and rehearse the manners and control you need with him

I am terribly sorry this happened - and terribly sorry it upset you so .. but as always, looking out for dog is my number one goal ...

After this last post I'm leaving but I don't like bad feeling, so once again - I never said, nor implied you were trying to make her feel bad. And I know, and have also said that I agree with what you said about the dog's safety and obedience being paramount. Goodnight - I hope you take that in the manner it was indended

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Mombear - I did not recall that you posted other issues with Parker. He really has to have very solid responses to your commands before he is around children at all. And if that means that you crate him every time you have a small visitor you will have to do that - until he is rock solid in his ability and interest in following your direction. He is not there now.

For Moka's mom - when Diesel was younger I would routinely crate him for the first 10-20 minutes when people would come over to visit. The arrival excitement would pass and he would be let out and behave himself without a lot of intervention on my part. He has decent obedience skills but when less mature he was pretty excitable. He listened quite a bit better once a little time passed after visitors arrived.

Now that he is 4 he has a lot more self control and does not get overstimulated with visitors.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast