Leptospirosis Vaccine?

Thread: Leptospirosis Vaccine?

S-Dog's Mom is offline Member

DefaultLeptospirosis Vaccine?

So, my vet recommended this vacceine for Stormy yesterday.

He said in the past, they've only really felt a need to offer it to "field" and "working" dogs. Sounds like a pretty nasty thing to get, and to make matters worse, it's communicable to humans.

Spread through active urine, and, from what I've read, is picked up usually in standing water.

So... after much investigation, AND due to the fact that we do a LOT of swimming and Dock Dogs events, I have decided to go ahead with this for Storm AND for my Golden, Simon.

Anyone hear of any adverse reaction to the vaccine?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

At all of my past vets, they automatically gave this vaccine to all of our dogs. When I switched to a new vet, they said it was optional and we didn't get it, based on our situation (no water around, the dogs live inside). So they've been getting it all these years, no reaction. I had no idea it was optional.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Mine has been pressing for this vaccine. I have not done it yet. Not clear to me what the actual versus perceived need really is.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

As it's been explained to me (not sure if it's right or wrong), Lepto is often caught through bird and other animal's feces & urine- geese and ducks are especially loaded. So, if your dog is frequently exposed to areas where wildlife may be nesting or building habitats, it's a good idea to go ahead and vaccinate. My dogs are constantly eating goose poo when we go out to train, so I went ahead with it. I haven't seen any adverse reactions yet.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

labby is offline Senior Member

It used to only be available in a distemper/parvo combination. It was only 2 strains. Now there is a 4 strain separate vaccine which covers all strains of lepto that dogs are exposed to. What I would suggest is you NOT get the DA2PL+CPV and get the DA2P+CPV instead and then 3-4 weeks later get the 4way lepto strain vaccine.

My dogs get the 4way lepto in the spring. It covers them for 6 months. Since we have hard winters here, it kills lepto and therefore I don't have to give the vaccine twice a year. I just give it in the spring.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

actually it's infected rodent urine. Your dog does not have to be a swimmer to pick this up. If an infected rodent happens to pee on your lawn and your dog walks through it later and licks its feet.......bingo.

I think you're thinking of coccidia that is in bird poop.

Last edited by labby; 05-27-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    Laura

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Keep in mind that leptospirosis vaccines do not cover all serovars that cause disease, and as other have mentioned, I would definitely give the vaccine by itself, a few weeks out from any other vaccinations.

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    actually it's infected rodent urine. Your dog does not have to be a swimmer to pick this up. If an infected rodent happens to pee on your lawn and your dog walks through it later and licks its feet.......bingo.
    I've always been told it can also be found in the urine of skunks, opossums, etc. The same serovars that infect dogs have also been isolated in cattle, and cattle do shed the bacteria in urine, so I would assume they can also infect dogs - although it's not something specific we learn as a possible point of infection.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy