incentive advice for training puppy?

Thread: incentive advice for training puppy?

Cshipman83 is offline Junior Member

Defaultincentive advice for training puppy?

Daisy also doesn't seem very interested in any treats or food that we have given her so it has been very difficult to work with any training at this point because she is not motivated.

The other issue is she seems very disinterested in her food and meal time. We are feeding her the best quality food (no filler or wheat products- only filled with meat, vegetables and fruit) We are going to the vet today to discuss, but it has me very worried as she is 9 weeks old and I want her to continue to put on the correct amount of weight!.....

This puppy thing is overwhelming....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Not food motivated? Are you sure you have a Lab? <g>

Are you feeding what the breeder fed? If not, consider it for a while.

Do you have any small petshops near you? Many on then have sample packages of most feeds they carry. You can generally pick up several of them at a time. Try each of them as treats for training. See what, if anything works.

9 weeks old! How long have you had her? You may be expecting too much to soon.

Hold a couple pieces of kibble in your closed hand, shortly before mealtime. Get down on the floor with her, and make you hand available for sniffing. Watch for a reaction indicating interest and a desire to get at it. Try this iwth multiple different treat.

Some folks dice and 'roast' hot dogs for training treats. I bought a natural Balance Sausage, cut 1/4 inch slices, and then diced them into 1/4 inch cubes. This stuff is kind of stinky, but HK went nuts for it. I reserved using this for off leash work, be that heal, recall, or just a simple sit when we were outside and off lead. It worked great for her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Ditto what H's Ks D's said.

How long have you had her? At 9 weeks age, many Labs would still be adjusting to their new surroundings and not fully acclimated to their new home.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

all_about_kimber is offline Senior Member

I agree with everyone else give her a couple of more weeks to get use to the new home. Also you do want to use the same food the breeder was using then switch it slowly by mixing the food you want to switch to slowly mixe the two foods together then slowly remove the old food. Also I started training my Kimber at 9 weeks old and I had to use chicken hotdogs to get her attention she could not ignore those.

Thank you
    Amy & Kimber

victorytea is offline Member

Most labs are tractable enough to not require food rewards- praise and petting usually is enough to motivate. Professional trainers, at least the one's I've trained with, do not use treats.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Our puppy is always wanting to eat!! I caught him with his head stuck in the cat food bag...sheesh.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorytea View Post
    Most labs are tractable enough to not require food rewards- praise and petting usually is enough to motivate. Professional trainers, at least the one's I've trained with, do not use treats.
    Most professional trainers I have known do use treats at least initally. There is nothing wrong with it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

victorytea is offline Member

Except it sets a precedence.I have never seen the need for treats but I know some people like to train that way.