Puppy Hates Crate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Hates Crate

Cshipman83 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Hates Crate

My husband and I got our first little black lab girl and she is wonderful. Lot's of energy but we are having problems with her liking her crate. She is crated only over night and spends a few hours during the day. The rest of the day she stays with our neighbor and plays with their dogs.

We are trying to give her treats and encourage her to get in on her own willingly but she just takes the treat immediately out. When it's bedtime or time for us to go to work she resists and tries to get out and then cries....

We need HELP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

Where do you have the crate?

I would shut the door immediately after she gets In and gets the reward. Try leaving her in there for shorter amounts of time at first and gradually increase the time. Some crying when they are little is normal. Make sure she doesn't have to go out. Those puppy cries are hard. Hang in there.

MurphySullyHogan

Cshipman83 is offline Junior Member

We have the crate in the living room facing out towards our backdoor where Daisy can see out. She's only 8 weeks old but seems to have little interest in the treats we've tried.... so that doesn't really help either.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

She will get used to it and eventually come to see it as a refuge. You just have to be consistent.

She may do better at night in your room. (move the crate in there). She likely feels very isolated in the LR alsone.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

-move the crate to your bedroom
    -start feeding her in the crate
    -play games in and around the crate, tossing toys and treats around, and into, the crate with the door open. Sometimes the treats are right at the door, sometimes further back , but the door always remains open as you first do this. (She's likely smart enough to realize very quickly that treat or no treat, going into the crate means the door closes, the lights go off and she's left alone in the dark... so our goal is to make the crate a benign object, even a place of fun and meals.)
    -once she's zipping in and out with the door open, start crating her for varying amounts of time just because - have a stuffed kong or a chewie bone ready for this time, a special treat that she will ONLY get when crated. Do this when you are at home, in the same room as the crate - while you're watching tv, making dinner, writing emails, etc...

denise123 is offline Member

I was having problems with Bailey liking her crate as well...A friend of mine..who works at a vet told me to move the crate into my bedroom and put a shirt with my smell on it in with her...she has done wonderfully since i have followed my friends advice...she doesn't go in on her own just yet..but will go in if I give her a treat and she doesn't cry at all anymore while inside her crate..i hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

KoffeeKeg is offline Junior Member

I'm having the same problem with my 8 week old chocolate lab. We've had her and all she does is scream. Not bark, -scream-. This morning she woke up without her voice. I won't let her sleep on the bed (husband has allergies) and she's not housebroken as of yet.

I've tried the crate in the bedroom. Yeah, still screams. All night.
    Moved her to the kitchen (same floor) Still screams.
    Moved her to the bottom floor, tried catdog radio all night, clock, treats, things that smell like me. We only hang out on that floor now, and we sneak her in her kennel when she crashes and sleeps randomly through the day. I put toys and dolls and other soft things in there. I've tried covering the kennel with a blanket. She ate that.

I love the puppy, but its going to be a week tomarrow without sleep. What else can I do that I have not tried?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoffeeKeg View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my 8 week old chocolate lab. We've had her and all she does is scream. Not bark, -scream-. This morning she woke up without her voice. I won't let her sleep on the bed (husband has allergies) and she's not housebroken as of yet.

I've tried the crate in the bedroom. Yeah, still screams. All night.
    Moved her to the kitchen (same floor) Still screams.
    Moved her to the bottom floor, tried catdog radio all night, clock, treats, things that smell like me. We only hang out on that floor now, and we sneak her in her kennel when she crashes and sleeps randomly through the day. I put toys and dolls and other soft things in there. I've tried covering the kennel with a blanket. She ate that.

I love the puppy, but its going to be a week tomarrow without sleep. What else can I do that I have not tried?
    How long have you had her and exactly what do you do when puppy screams in their crate?
    how long did you stick with any one of the above mentionned things? (how many nights each)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

KoffeeKeg is offline Junior Member

I've had her for six nights now.

We tried the bedroom for one night.

We tried the kitchen for another.

The last four nights she has been on the bottom floor, where she plays and hangs out when she is not outdoors. We gave up on the radio, but the clock is still in the room ticking and she does have the towels that smell like me with her. As for the blankets I have just dontated that comforter to the cause of Nestle

When she screams, we do nothing. We won't open the crate until she has stopped being hysterical either, when it is time to go out. In the morning she is so upset she refuses to potty for a few minutes, because all she wants is my love. I won't give it to her until she has calmed down and pottied (Doing that stand up and turn around thing, like Victoria does on 'It's me or the dog'.)

I guess what I am most worried about is her getting into a fit and hurting herself. If its her voice now, what's next?

I've only had cats before, so yeah. I am a doggie newbie.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you can completely ignore puppy (no moving, no talking to her or telling her to shush) all night and she keeps going for hours? wow (or more like, eek!)

The other recommendation made that has worked is to put the crate next to your bed and having your arm next to it (so puppy can touch) but completely ignore the puppy otherwise. They have comfort knowing they are near their pack but no reinforcement for the screaming. She will likely still need to go out at least once during the night for a pee though (at that age she shoudl but if she has been holding it in so far then forget that!)

It also takes more than 1 night to fix things, so changing techniques so much isn't making it abit harder. But bottom line some puppies take to this entire thing more than other (some seem to "get it" from the first night, others take over a week to figure it out).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast