Puppy Food Question

Thread: Puppy Food Question

Cheley is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Food Question

I will be bringing my new chocolate lab puppy home in less than 2 weeks and I am trying to decide the best food for her.

The breeder has the puppies on Iams Large Breed Puppy Food.

My older dogs are currently eating Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. I noticed that they make a Lamb and Rice Large Breed Puppy food and was considering switching the new puppy to that. Sophie (8 yr old black lab) had recurring ear infections and itchy skin before I made the switch to the Diamond Lamb and Rice when she was about 1 1/2. No problems at all since then!

I also recently visited a new pet store/training facility in my area. The owner highly recommended Orijen large breed puppy food and gave me a sample bag. She claims it is the best food out there.

My question - any of you use any of the above 3 types of puppy food (Iams LBP, Diamond L&R LBP or Orijens LBP)? Anything I should know about any of them - good or bad? I am trying to do my research and make an informed decision, and would appreciate any help from those in the know!

Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I don't use any of those, but thought I'd share what we did. Caleb's breeder fed Eukanuba LB Puppy food. I'm not a big Euk/Iams fan, and since our Mick had done wonderfully on Pro Plan, my plan was to switch Caleb to that. Instead of messing with his digestive system too often, I just waited until I started switching him to adult food at 6 months to change food.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Many of the breeders on JL recommend feeding an adult ration to Lab puppies and maybe some will add their recommendations and reasons for why they do that.

I do not.

The overwhelming consenus of scientific canine nutritional studies by many of the dog food companies plus those by universities is that it's by far best to feed puppies that will have an anticipated adult weight of over 50 lbs (some say 55 lbs.) a formula with reduced calcium and potassium. Doing otherwise increases the risk of later joint problems. So most major manufacturers of dog food have a Large Breed Puppy (LBP) formulation that roughly follows the guidelines of the scientific research.

This research has been done on, by now, thousands of dogs -- many of them Labs.

A Lab breeder has maybe 2-10 puppies to evaluate at each litter and, maybe, 100-200 over the course of a bitch's lifetime on which to get feedback after placing them.

MY preference is to go with the recommendations of the articles published in recognized scientific journals rather than relying on the word of mouth nudges by home breeders.

Hopefully some of those advocating an adult food for Lab puppies will state their reasons for shunning feeding Lab pups a LBP food.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

all_about_kimber is offline Senior Member

I use Eukaduba wieght control for large breed and I love it My dogs coat looks great and she has done great with her wieght. If I did not use that I would use the Iam's dog food do if you have had great resoltes with it I would use the Iams that way all your dogs are on the same food. Just remember to change a little at a time.

Amy & Kimber

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by all_about_kimber View Post
    I use Eukaduba wieght control for large breed and I love it My dogs coat looks great and she has done great with her wieght. If I did not use that I would use the Iam's dog food do if you have had great resoltes with it I would use the Iams that way all your dogs are on the same food. Just remember to change a little at a time.

Amy & Kimber
    Weight control foods are typically chock full of fillers (read - junk). You can control weight with regular food - just a bit less of it. Many Lab owners add green beans to their dog's food to add volume and make them feel fuller.

Euk and Iams used to be considered top foods - not so much anymore. You might want to look at sites like Dog Food Project or Dog Food Analysis and really see what is in your dog's food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.