14 wks old recur UTI's

Thread: 14 wks old recur UTI's

bigwetdogsinhawaii is offline Junior Member

Default14 wks old recur UTI's

Help and advise please. We have a gorgeous 14 wk ok yellow lab but she has been thru 2 courses of (2wks) of antibiotics for recur UTI- symptoms of frequency. She does well while on antibiotics but once we finish the antibx, she starts having frequency and breaking her house training. We have raised female pups before but Molly is the 1st w/ urinary issues. I am worried that when I take her back to the vet, their simple fix would be more anitbx. Is this a common problem. Any advise appreciated.

Thanks for your advise and response

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicidee is offline Junior Member

Actually I would love to get some info on this subject too. My 13 wo black lab mix got a stubborn UTI at 9 weeks old, and had to go through 2 courses of antibiotics as well. The vet actually switched her to a different med after the first one didn't work, and that one gave her diarrhea so then she was on anti-diarrhea meds and prescription dog food as well!

Anyway her last urinalysis came back okay but the vet said to keep an eye out in case the symptoms start to come back. I am a first-time lab mommy, so I am curious as well - is this common? What causes it, and is there anything that can be done to promote good urinary tract health so my girl doesn't get sick again?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your puppies may both have recessed vulvas. This is a common issue that your puppy will grow out of once she has been through one heat. You don't want to spay before a heat if your puppy has this issue.

If she does - you will have to take extra care of her until she grows out of it. This will include keeping her vulva really clean (like using wipes whenever she pees). If you don't keep her clean - this will happen repeatedly as the bacteria has a nice warm area to grow.

The vet should be able to tell if it is recessed.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 05-20-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: used teh wrong word
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bigwetdogsinhawaii is offline Junior Member

Thx for your reply, she went back to the vet but no inverted vulva. but her urine is very alkaline and has lots of crystals. vet said a this is a good environment for UTIs. Suggested a food change and back on clavamox and doing better already. we were told the original vet did not dose abx properly for her growing size- so 3 more wks of abx then urine culture. Just seems like alot of abx. Sure would be nice if we had doggie insurance.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I agree- let them go through a heat. I didn't know any of this and my "old" vet never mentioned it, even after she had 3 uti before she was 6 months old. Fortunately sammi went into heat just before she was scheduled to be spayed. She hadn't had another uti until just recently, not sure what caused this, but the antibiotics seem to have cleared it right up. Hope this works with your pup's

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Both of my girls have recessed vulvas. Java's we didn't know about and she was spayed at 6 months, prior to her first heat. Moka is 9 months and has not been spayed yet-waiting for her first heat. They were both having nasty recurring UTIs, so I put them both on cranberry capsules and they have not had a UTI since. I buy it at Rite Aid, just plain generic cranberry capsules, 425mg each. I give them each 1 in the morning with breakfast and 1 at night with dinner. Neither one has had a UTI since I started them on the cran caps. At $5 a bottle it's alot cheaper and safer than repeated courses of antibiotics. They're comletely natural and totally harmless. I asked my vet first, she agreed it was worth a shot and now we have bother been pleasantly surprised at how well the cran caps work at keeping the nasty UTIs away.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Both of my girls have recessed vulvas. Java's we didn't know about and she was spayed at 6 months, prior to her first heat. Moka is 9 months and has not been spayed yet-waiting for her first heat. They were both having nasty recurring UTIs, so I put them both on cranberry capsules and they have not had a UTI since. I buy it at Rite Aid, just plain generic cranberry capsules, 425mg each. I give them each 1 in the morning with breakfast and 1 at night with dinner. Neither one has had a UTI since I started them on the cran caps. At $5 a bottle it's alot cheaper and safer than repeated courses of antibiotics. They're comletely natural and totally harmless. I asked my vet first, she agreed it was worth a shot and now we have bother been pleasantly surprised at how well the cran caps work at keeping the nasty UTIs away.
    Sammi also gets cran caps for a " just in case" measure, it can't hurt.