8 mth old still biting us all day long

Thread: 8 mth old still biting us all day long

bluejeans is offline Member

Default8 mth old still biting us all day long

Jersey seems to like to play rough, biting & jumping. She's still a puppy at 8 mths, but big & strong with adult teeth. We got her at 6 weeks, which is probably the root problem. But what do we do now? I'm tired of her biting me & the family all day long. There's different bites. If she wants something, she holds my arm softly but persistently, until I feed/play/walk her. She play bites & nibbles when she's over excited, like when licking faces turns to nipping ears. And there's I'm so happy to see you & want to jump all over you & bite you everywhere.

What doesn't work:
    holding her snout, makes her do a puppy bow & play fight
    bitter biter, she likes the taste
    saying no, if she's excited, she won't listen

What works:
    containment
    commands sit/down with food
    giving her something else to bite while we pet her

Obedience class starts next week. Any suggestions until then?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Go with what works. We used to always give Bauer toys when he was greeting someone to keep him from mouthing, now he gets them on his own. If someone comes to the door, he immediately runs to pick up a toy. When we had visitors we would put him in his crate for a little while until he calmed down, and put him back if he freaked out again. Stopping all interaction when they start to nip works too. If you are playing and she nips, turn your back and walk away; wait a few minutes and come back, if it happens again, immediately turn your back and walk away again. Consistency is the key. I used to leave the room and go into the bathroom for a few minutes. It completely cut me off from him (which he hated). He would follow me to the bathroom, and wait outside the door.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

lisa is offline Senior Member

What works:
    containment
    commands sit/down with food
    giving her something else to bite while we pet her

Obedience class starts next week. Any suggestions until then?

Sounds like your on the right track with this..if it works stay with it. It takes consistency. My Gracie was like this at 8 months old too and I would do just what you are doing. She is 15 months old now...she has her moments every now and again, but a great improvement. It will get better..I promise. Good luck, keep us posted

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

And to add the standard: how much exercise (physical and mental) is she getting?

bluejeans is offline Member

She's getting exercised in the afternoon. And you're right, we do see less biting when she's tired. I'll have to think about getting up earlier. I'm the first one awake, and it would be so nice if Jersey didn't bite my husband & kids when they come down in the morning.

Also, I'll get some durable soft toys. She loves to tear the stuffing out of toys, so we end up throwing them out pretty soon. I didn't see Bauer toys on line.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

She really does need more exercise - but you really need to have some degree of control over her too. It is not just the exercise. Getting into obedience is great - but reacting appropriately to her mouthness when it happens must be done as well.

Do you dramatically withdraw attention when she is mouthy? Do you make a sharp loud sound when she is mouthy? What are you doing to communicate your disapproval? She does not speak english - so just saying NO is not meaningful to her unless it has some connection to your intent.

My older Lab arrived to me as a 6 month old very mouthy out of control boy and he was broken of this behavior within 2 weeks with a lot of reward for proper behavior and loss of attention/obvious disapproval from me when he would start with the mouthiness. Once they see the path to positive attention - they will work hard for it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.