Sleeping - PLEASE HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping - PLEASE HELP!

Ashleigh is offline Junior Member

ExclamationSleeping - PLEASE HELP!

We got Nala on Sunday - she will be 8 weeks in 2 days. She is just the sweetest little thing and has been doing very well. She goes to the door and gives a little whine to go outside and has only had one accident which was TOTALLY my fault. She is sitting on command pretty well, will "come" about 80% of the time on her own, and does well being redirected to her bone when she's chewing.

BUT...at night she is a mess. We have her in our room in her crate (I stay at home, so she is not crated all day, but I do put her in there when I can't watch her and she also will go in there to sleep throughout the day). She whines (with a few high pitched, ear piercing barks in there) for about 10 minutes before she will lay down (which isn't bad...I understand). But then she wakes up every 1.5-2 hours and whines to go out. I let her out and she goes every time.

We go to bed about 1030 and up at 7.

Is it normal for me to have to be getting up with her 4 times a night -- between actually getting up and then listening to her whine herself back to sleep for 10 minutes I feel like I'm getting no sleep at all.

I realize we brought home a baby and if this is normal and I should have expected to get up every 2 hours, okay - I will do it. It's just a LOT and I'm not sure she should have to go out that many times a night?!

Hubby is sleeping in the other room right now since he works outside the home and just cannot afford to be missing that much sleep.

So - what are your thoughts??

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh! and I *am* lifting her water about 2 hours prior to bedtime.

Garth is offline Registered Users

It's been ages since I've had a pup so I can't remember how often I had to get up. As far as helping her get to sleep quicker, get a wind up alarm clock. FGS, MAKE SURE THE ALARM ISN'T SET! Wrap it in a towel & put it in the bed with her. It sounds like an old wives tale but it works. The theory is, the ticking sounds like the mothers heart beat & consoles them. I've done it with every one of my pups & it works about 90% of the time. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

2 hours before your bedtime you pick up the water (meaning 8:30 PM)? I would lift it earlier. Like an hour after you feed her the evening meal.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I will try those things.

I'm also wondering if she is whining because she can't see us. Once the sun comes up she does a good job of just putting herself back to sleep when I bring her in without whining (too much). At night it is REALLY dark in our room and I think maybe that scares her. Maybe I will try keeping a little light on tonight and see how she does.

How do you teach "settle" effectively? I don't want to *not* take her out if she has to go, but should I be expecting her to hold it longer than she is (about 1.5-2 hours)? She does go every time I take her out.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I had the same problem with Aila when we brought her home. I was told that puppies should be expected to hold their bladder for an hour for each month they are old. So an 8-week old puppy should be able to hold their bladder for 2 hours. When we got Aila, I actually set my alarm clock to wake me up every two hours at which point I would let her out of the crate and take her out to pottie. She did every time, but it then took about another 1/2 hour to get her back into the crate and settle back down to sleep. This was my routine for about the first two months that we had her -- suffice it to say, I was tired! Eventually, we lengthened the amount of time in between to 3 hours, then 4 hours, and then almost all night. She is now just over 6 months old and sleeps the entire night -- even on weekends when we sleep a little longer.

montoya's is offline Senior Member

yup, you are a mom and all is normal. have fun we just went through all that with Meekah

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Sounds like she is doing fine. It is truly like having a baby. Jeb was horrible at night until he was ~6mos old. He'd pitch a fit during the night for 20-30 minutes-needless to say he is headstrong. Hampton, however, has not once woken up during the night. Go figure. It'll get easier as you go. I posted on the chat page to see how you all were doing so I'm glad to know she is settling in.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

myFirstlab is offline Member

Defaultyes they go out that often

i would set an alarm every 2 hours as well to take her out, for those times that you don't wake up to their cries. but its totally normal, my puppy is now 6 months and she can hold it for about 7-8 hours now, probably more but we just choose to take her out around that time. Good luck, the early puppy stages were rough, i would alternate times with my gf so we still take her out often, but each of us would get a longer sleep between the last potty break.

if she still cries after she went potty, then make sure to ignore it. She will grow out of it, but if you do end up taking her out, its like starting all over again so make sure to not take her out if she's already done with her business.

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy!

Last night was SOOO much better. I'm so stinkin' proud of her (and praying it "sticks"). She didn't whine AT ALL except to let me know she needed to go out and that was only twice!!! I'm really hoping she's getting the hang of things and we'll continue down the path of more sleep!

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast