Sleeping - PLEASE HELP! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping - PLEASE HELP!

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear you were able to get a more restful night. I hope it continues. Harvey has slept in with us since he was about 5 months old, no particular reason, i just couldnt resist that face :-). However, now that he has had surgery for ED the surgeon has advised us that he should avoid stairs. This meant getting him back into a routine of sleeping down stairs. The first night was hell, he cried for hours (as did i!). However, on the second night, i took off the jumper i had been wearing that day and put it on his bed, he didnt cry at all after that. He was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and hasnt been upstair since, but now he is happily settled with the new sleeping arrangements.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ashleigh is offline Junior Member

Awww...sweet Harvey. I'm glad to hear he is doing well with his new arrangements!

Is it recommended not to have them in your room? I like having her in there close to us. I would love for her to sleep at the end of our bed some day when we can de-crate (lol!) her. I know that could be years though.

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

I dont think they recommend them not to be in your room, Harvey slept up on the bed with us. He just isnt allowed to do the stairs now so it is out of the question. I do miss him though, but I have found that I get out of bed earlier so that I can come down to see him, and Hubby no longer has a bad back as he can now sleep with his legs out straight :-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

We took Gracie home at 8 weeks old, she would get up once a night around 3am and within one week she was sleeping through the night. Lola my new lab we also got at 8 weeks and she would get up every 2 hours and she did this for about 2 weeks and then it was once during the night for about another 2 weeks and finally an all night sleep. It will happen, don't worry.

hauts is offline Member

The whining is normal for a pup that young in it's new environment/crate. I think you're lucky she's letting you know at such a young age. When my pup first came home I set my alarm every two hours to let her out, but if she did have to go in between those two hours she didn't let me know...she just went! That's more of a pain because you have to give the pup a bath and then let it out. As they grow their bladders get bigger and they are able to hold it. Just keep doing what you're doing and be grateful she's letting you know she needs to go out!

One other note to help her get adjusted to her crate, try feeding her in her crate and when you want her to kennel in the crate start off by giving her a treat. She'll learn real quick to kennel up on command when she knows she's getting a treat. I give Kimber a baby carrot for now everytime I tell her to kennel up. She runs in the kennel and sits waiting for her carrot. Eventually I'll ween off the treats for her kenneling.

Ashleigh is offline Junior Member

Thanks Hauts Yes, I am very glad she is able to let me know she needs out. She actually really loves her crate already -- she will go in there to sleep throughout the day or when the kids are getting rowdy and she doesn't feel like playing.

Last night was even better than Tuesday night!! She didn't whine at all!! She let me know she needed to outside once at 3:00 in the morning and then went right back to sleep. I think she's getting the hang of things

I'm so proud of her.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff (and most Lab pups) hated being separated from their people.

I initially had a small crate for her (which I later sold and bought a larger one) and propped it up beside and level with my bed so she could see me --and also put some unwashed clothes inside so she'd have my smell close to her. IIRC, I also put a ticking windup alarm clock in with her to mimic a beating heart. She settled down quickly but was a big whiner for awhile whenever she couldn't see me.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12