Training.. when?

Thread: Training.. when?

jjdurrant is offline Junior Member

DefaultTraining.. when?

Moose is 10 weeks now.. when should start to stink about puppy training\classes? Are the big retailers ok? Petco, Petsmart, etc?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You can plan on starting in on puupy classes as soon as the dogs has all its shots. Some will opt for a bit before the last shot.

Some of the big retailers have good classes, most have really poor classes. It depends so much on the individual trainer, andhow committed the specific store manager is to the program.

I would search out trainers, many may be associated with small pet shops (not the ones that sell animals, just supplies). Try to get to a few classes to observe before you sign up. You will be interested in technique with the dogs, as well as with the people. Afterall, it is actually the handler that is being trained to train.

In the meantime, you should be starting on training the day you bring the dog home. In your home, every day, all day. There are several books available to read up and get some guidance, as will as this being a fantastic resource for any question you may have.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

jjdurrant is offline Junior Member

Thanks.. I see you are in MN... same here. Cottage Grove

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Often you can find a good training class associated with your breed club or dog club in your area.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

You can teach a LOT at home... I used Kinderpuppy classes mostly for puppy socialization. Both of mine were in class by 10 weeks. Because these classes were specifically for puppy socialization, while all had to be up to date in vaccines, they could attend before finishing their puppy vax series. We covered puppy socialization, sound desensitization, sit/down/stand/come/settle/go to your mat, soft mouth training and leash manners (though both of the boyz already knew much of these before attending class).

Look at obedience schools in your area, often they will offer some sort of puppy class.
    Last edited by Henery&Ollie's mom; 04-11-2010 at 09:03 PM.