puppy biting too hard
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: puppy biting too hard

danitolaboy is offline Member

Defaultpuppy biting too hard

Hi everyone,

Alex is biting and playing too rough latetly and its getting a little out of control for comfort. To the point my 7 year old son will not come out of his room when alex is in the living room with us.

things we have tried so far

1. ignoring him and ending play time (has worked the best so far)

2. loud "ouch" or "yelp"

3. growling back at him.

4. gently holding his mouth closed

90% of the time he's a good boy but when we try to play with him he automatically gets too excited and starts biting at our hands,feet whatever he can get a hold too.

Any advice is highly appreciated

Thanks,

Danny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Holding his mouth shut never worked for us. I would advise against growling back, I think it actually encourages the rough house play style but I am not an expert. The ouch or yelp only worked for us a few times. We found ignoring and ending the play time to work best for us too. Just stick to whatever you choose and be consistant. I would think sticking to just one is the best option. It will get better. It worked for us within a week or two. Sometimes there are a few episodes when he gets really excited but they cease as soon as we ignore.

cycler is offline Senior Member

We also have a the same thing going on with our puppy, Muddy. He gets into the "zone" and just wants to rough house. Only thing that calms him down is the penalty box (crate). With all the bad weather we have been having, we can not get him out enough, and I think that adds to his frustration, in the house.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Boston is offline Senior Member

My pup did the same thing. I still have marks on my arms. We just would walk away and turn around for 30-60 seconds. She would be confused and eventually stopped the biting. She will occasionally bite now but its much softer and she doesnt pull or try to tear skin. I stearn NO now stops her.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You've gotten really good answers thus far. Bravo guys!

Some puppies need a little more persuasion - particularly puppies that were homed before 8 weeks. They did not get the chance to learn bite inhibition from their littermates and are often mouthier longer.

One tactic to use for a hard case mouthy puppy is to roll their upper lip over a tooth and press the lip into the tooth. Not hard enough to injure - but hard enough to make them react. They need to learn that this behavior hurts. The combo of withdrawing attention and teaching that they are inflicting harm when they mouth is pretty effective.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mamazano is offline Member

We are not having this problem with our lab puppy, but when our Golden Retriever was a pup she would do the same thing. We taught her to "get a toy" and to this day, if she gets into that rough zone playing with the other dogs, we tell her to get a toy and she immediately grabs one and beats them up with that.

Good luck, all the advice has been excellent.

myFirstlab is offline Member

How old is your pup? We would do the walk away technique and come back, repeat as necessary if still biting. She is now 5 months and its no longer an issue.

danitolaboy is offline Member

Thank you for the responses. Alex is 11 weeks old right now. We will continue with the walking away and ignore technic. Hopefully he will get it soon my hands and forearms cant take much more of it . Thanks again for all the great advice.

Danny

lisa is offline Senior Member

The only thing that worked with Gracie was to ignore her and stop the playing and if she kept biting at me it was time out in the bathroom. We didn't crate train her, so if you have a crate...just a few min in the crate usually works. Good luck

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Patience is the key. Jeb was a terrible biter. Nothing seemed to work. He eventually outgrew the behavior and is a wonderful dog. My arms were scarred also. People made jokes when they found out we were getting another Lab, especially since he is a full brother to Jeb.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast