So We Started Training Classes....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So We Started Training Classes....

Boston is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo We Started Training Classes....

Stoli is now 7 months old and still without manners. We have started training. The program does use an E-Collar. I know many people don't agree with them and I was skeptical so i actually tried it out and put it on. It didnt really hurt me so i figured she can handle it through the fur lol.

As for the program it uses the collar with NILIF. She gets 3 private lessons and then 6 months of group sessions with other dogs of all ages and sizes.

After two days she is doing great!! She already is very consistent with "off" (used for jumping on things/people as well as begging digging etc) "out" (which is for grabbing shoes. socks, etc) and "quiet" (nuissance barking) I know that it will take time but I am very impressed with the early progress.

Anyone have any successes with this kind of training??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

to each their own

My two cents - you would have had the same success with ANY solid training program to which you dedicated yourself to full time - the fact you are putting in the time and effort and RULES is the reason this is working, not because of the collar.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'm wondering why you waited 7 months to get her into obedience classes. Training should have started from an early age and you would have curtailed a lot of annoying behavior at this time. I use e-collars. For ADVANCED off-leash work which reinforces commands they ALREADY KNOW from distances...not for beginning obedience. I think anyone who advocates using e-collars for beginning obedience is an idiot. All of the issues you seem to be focusing on sound like your girl is BORED. Try going to a regular obedience class and upping the exercise. Unless you plan on doing any field/hunt work, there really is no point in training your dog on an ecollar.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    I'm wondering why you waited 7 months to get her into obedience classes. Training should have started from an early age and you would have curtailed a lot of annoying behavior at this time. I use e-collars. For ADVANCED off-leash work which reinforces commands they ALREADY KNOW from distances...not for beginning obedience. I think anyone who advocates using e-collars for beginning obedience is an idiot. All of the issues you seem to be focusing on sound like your girl is BORED. Try going to a regular obedience class and upping the exercise. Unless you plan on doing any field/hunt work, there really is no point in training your dog on an ecollar.
    First of all I resent being called an idiot. Just because you do asomething different just justify saying that.

As for training it has been done all along. The classes are for reinforcing the behaviors. I know others who have used the collar for reinforcement and with great results.

If all you have is insults I would prefer you dont bother respond to any of my posts in the future.

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

I think these puppy issues that you have with your girl is all a matter of training her and taking her to obedience classes for manners. I use an e-collar but thats only because we're training for hunt tests, yes its very successful but for our obedience work i never have an ecollar on her.
    As for leave its, offs, come, etc is easy to train with lots of consistancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna1002 View Post
    I think these puppy issues that you have with your girl is all a matter of training her and taking her to obedience classes for manners. I use an e-collar but thats only because we're training for hunt tests, yes its very successful but for our obedience work i never have an ecollar on her.
    As for leave its, offs, come, etc is easy to train with lots of consistancy.
    We have been doing these trainings without fro months. i was just stating that it helps to reinforce. After just two days i don't need to even use the collar really. She is more alert to commands. I want to use the ecollar for more walking/off leash activity.

I understand its a big debate about these things. i fully understand that some dont use it. i just dont liek being called an idiot

banoel is offline Senior Member

Boston, I think you were unfairly called an idiot. Some dogs are quite 'headstrong' and need more than the typical type of positive reinforcement for training (even when started in puppyhood). It doesn't sound like you were being unfair to your dog nor using harsh training. This debate will be ongoing as will the use of a pinch collar. I wish you the best in the training that works best for you and your dog.
    - Never trust a dog to guard your food -

Beck's Frequent Flyer (Miles) 1/26/10
    Beck's Keepin' It Simple, JH (Simon) 4/25/07
    Noel's Duncan Delight, CDX (Duncan) 1/28/97 - 10/30/08 (Miss you big guy)

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

boston definately not calling you an idiot. I was having the same issue with my girl, and i finally found the right obedience school and they got me on the right path. Apple's off, leave it, etc were not solid til after she turned one. Which is why i mentioned consistancy. She was and still is a wild child. I'm not saying e-collars are bad, trust me i'm one to defend them, but i just resort to them when i work lots of distance. Again, everyone is different. Didnt mean to offend you.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna1002 View Post
    boston definately not calling you an idiot. I was having the same issue with my girl, and i finally found the right obedience school and they got me on the right path. Apple's off, leave it, etc were not solid til after she turned one. Which is why i mentioned consistancy. She was and still is a wild child. I'm not saying e-collars are bad, trust me i'm one to defend them, but i just resort to them when i work lots of distance. Again, everyone is different. Didnt mean to offend you.
    No you didnt offend me at all. i apologize i was refering to the previous post not yours. Thank you for your insight. I do understand that primarily it is used for advanced off leash training. The trainer I use just has a different system i guess. My dog is responding greatly and has no ill effects (she is still very happy and energetic just seems to have more manners)

Dani is offline Senior Member

I didn't call you an idiot...I called the trainer you are going to an idiot. Re-read it. And if you've been going to training all along, you obviously haven't been reinforcing anything or she doesn't respect you at all. That is a red flag to me. People. LEARN TO READ.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast