Nothing in crate......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nothing in crate......

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultNothing in crate......

............because all Limo wants to do is chew it! I feel bad, but wonder if when he was at the breeders, there was nothing for him to lay on...??? Will there ever be a time he can be trusted with a blanket or something soft to lay on? When he lays with me on the couch, he enjoys laying on the blanket that is draped over my legs. I even put an old sheet in his house one morning when I took a shower, along with his Nylabone thinking he would chew on his bone. Instead he chewed a hole in the sheet withing 15-20 min. I didn't care because it was old, but it concerns me because I know he ingested some of it.

Any ideas? Like I said, I would love to teach him to NOT chew what is in his crate. At a loss......thanks!
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Just keep it at nothing, better safe than sorry. Besides, when you're not around it's pretty much impossible to teach anything.

Baloo couldn't have any crate bedding at all for the first 1 - 1.5 years because he would chew it. Eventually he grew up a little and stopped, and now he's not crated during the day anymore and has lots of comfy blankets to sleep with at night. Except in the summer, then he has nothing except a very small blanket that he uses as a pillow because it's too warm.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

MrGame is offline Junior Member

I had the same problem and I left him in the crate with no bedding and one Nylabone (for powerful chewers, the little ones just break) and he chews the nylabone. I think evventually he'll learn thats what I want him to chew on

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MrGame - I sure hope that works for me too. It's very frustrating, but I figure when he was at the breeders he probably had nothing in the kennel, as well. He was with all the other dogs/pups.

Baloo317 - I sure hope he grows out of it. I have kept a Nylabone in there for him to have during the day (for power chewers). I don't know why I'm so frustrated, still! I think from going from an 11 yo (perfect chocolate) to a puppy whom is so totally different...it's all new to me and I don't know how to handle it. Mo was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! He never chewed anything up!
    Mo

The Love of My Life

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

oakley is offline Senior Member

Oakley actually doesn't like anything in her crate. If there is a sheet or blanket in there, she will drag it out while her crate is open. I put it back in and she just drags it out again. So, I leave nothing in it and she goes in and lays down in there when she wants to.

surferdave is offline Junior Member

My 8 week old puppy sometimes gets frustrated with a sheet or blanket in his crate. Sometimes if it's just too hot, they prefer to lay on something cool. He'll whine until I take it out, then he just lays on the cool plastic.

casey22780 is offline Junior Member

a kong stuff with peanut butter is another alternative to nylabones..

my lab Coal broke his big pre-molar on a nylabone last year .. and a friends dobie broke her canine tooth.. i still let the dogs chew on the nylabones but its something to think about.

casey22780 is offline Junior Member

Oh and i foster for a local rescue group and about half of my fosters arent allowed any bedding in their crates during the day because they will and have chewed it up..

funny thing though at night when i am home and they are crated they love to lay on blankets and never bother then .. crazy dogs..

casey22780...Limo is the same way! At night he'll snuggle on a blanket and sometimes fluff it up to his liking if I'm not right there with him to cuddle with. I don't get them sometimes!
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO

Teddysmom is offline Member

With all the problems we've had with Ted, he did get over this stage - but not until after he ruined an heirloom quilt and several beds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast