I can't crate my puppy....now what.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't crate my puppy....now what.

DieselsMommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultI can't crate my puppy....now what.

I need help.

I am not going to crate train my new puppy because I just can't guarantee letting him out every four hours. As an alternative we are going to create a safe little space for him in the kitchen. Now I am just torn if it's worse to use a puppy pad or a just let him "relieve" himself on the floor.

Suggestions....

THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Let me start by saying my response may come off as sounding nasty, but it certainly isn't meant to be. Unfortunately, you'll only be reading my words, not hearing the tone of my voice. That said, I have to wonder if a puppy is a good idea in your situation. If there's no way arrangements can be made to let a puppy out of its crate at 4 hour intervals, maybe a younge adult dog would be a better choice. Because, honestly, once your pup gets the idea that it's OK to relieve itself on the floor, even in a designated spot, that's what it will do for life. Plus, leaving a young pup unsupervised, even in just one room can be dangerous to the pup.

That is my biggest worry...that he'll pee inside forever.

I do have family that lives near by that occasionally can let the pup out, but I just don't want to commit anyone to take care of my pup. And also my husband has a flexible work schedule, I just don't want to crate the puppy incase he has to be in there longer.

Once our new house is fenced we do plan on putting a dog door in so this isn't a permanent thing. I am just torn what to do for the time being.

Thank you "MicksMom"...your comment didn't come over nasty at all. I know you are just trying to help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

i think you should consider the worst case scenario for both models.

1. You crate him - he is in there longer than he can hold it - he has an accident and maybe needs a bath when you get home. You have to clean the crate.

2. You don't crate him - he is blocked into the kitchen and decides to chew on the cabinets or the phone cord or the electrical cord because he is bored and they are available. He winds up doing a ton of damage to your home and may ingest so much foreign matter he has to go to the vet for an emergency visit. (Figure hundreds of dollars in this scenario) He has to pee indoors - so he learns that this is OK and takes much longer to get house trained. Eventually you have a much larger dog peeing quarts at a time on your nice floor.

I'd vote for scenario 1. Wouldn't you?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Believe me I really would rather crate him, but if there is no one I can get to him or my husband...he would be in there for 8 hours. I just think that is way too long. Especially for a poor little baby puppy.

My only other thought is to not block off the crate and just make a pee spot. I already have a crate and it's for a full grown lab.... I don't know this has given me a lot of worry.

I love my little boy so much, I just don't know what to do.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

This is not exactly an insurmountable problem.

There are services (dog walkers and pet sitters) who will come to your home and let the puppy out - for a fee - for the 3 months or so that you will need this. They are regular businesses - bonded and insured. You can hire a neighbor who is home during the day.

Your husband or you can come home at lunch. Maybe there is a college kid in the neighborhood whose class schedule allows him/her to be home at lunchtime and you could hire him/her.

There are lots of possible solutions. Or - maybe you simply need an adult dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Hire someone to come buy and let him out at lunch. Crate training is safe and reliable and in the long run less expensive on you because you won't have to clean up your house from the damage the puppy may cause.

If you really are going to be away from the puppy for more than 8 hours at a time regularly you have to also consider how this may affect your puppy re: boredom & being alone. Are you really sure in your situation that you are able to look after a puppy if for most of it's days you will be away?

You are worried about him being in a crate for 8 hours "especially for a poor little baby puppy" --- what about him being alone and getting up to mischief? There was no way that I would have gotten a puppy if I did not live close enough to work to come home and play with her at lunch time. Now she's almost 2 and a half I still usually come home and lunch and see her. Some days no but most days yes...
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Hire a pet sitter and just add that into the price of a puppy...he won't need it for very long, as he ages his bladder will get bigger and be able to hold it longer. This is really a situation that should have been thought of long before the buying process. Leaving a puppy loose by itself will create more confusion for the puppy and may lead to seperation anxiety. As well as the mess you will come home to every day.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

when apple was a pup, my breeder had the litter going in a litter box. What i did was set up a ex-pen attached with a crate. There was a big litter box in there, along with safe toys, water, etc.

It worked great. I did it mostly because i wanted to sleep the whole night and figured peeing in a litter box was what she knew and less stress on her. It worked, come 3 months later she just started peeing outside. Never an accident in the house.

we used puppy pads and a blocked off den area. had the puppy pads right in front of the patio door. used that right up till about 3.5 months. he learnt very fast to use them proper. plan was to move it outside the door then eventually to the grass but he skipped those two steps. as for the larger area that he is "crated" in, its never been an issue. kongs are great tools!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast