To Crate or Not to Crate...that is the question :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Crate or Not to Crate...that is the question :)

DieselsMommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultTo Crate or Not to Crate...that is the question :)

I am a soon to be lab mommy and am so torn on the crating. My husband and I both have grown up with dogs and never crated them.

I really wouldn't be so torn, but that I can't guarantee he won't be left in there more than 4 hours.

My husband and I work together,8-5. We have someone who can let him out, but not till 3pm. So obviously it would just be torture to leave him in there for that long.

Eventually we may look into a pet sitter, but not right away....

Any positive advice is welcome and thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

I personally think crate training is the way to go. Keeps many dogs out of trouble while you are gone. My dogs have always loved their crates and would even get in them to take a nap with the door hanging open. Good luck and congratulations on your new puppy!

MurphySullyHogan

I would crate train, but just not knowing for sure I could give him a break after 4 hours...that's the toughest part.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

I would def crate train. I was like you..I never crate trained any of my dogs. Then Gracie came along and I thought, I don't need to crate train...well she was the first destructive lab I owned. I would have to leave her in the bathroom, move everything out of reach...I mean everything and pray that there wasn't a whole in the wall when I got home. A year later she is much better, I can leave her for a bit. When Lola came along I bought a crate. I love it and so does she. She goes in there when the door is open and we are all home..it's like her quiet place. I don't worry about her getting into anything, or getting hurt..she is safe in her crate. I am sure someday she will be able to be left out of her crate, but while they are pups it is the safest place for them. Good luck with the puppy post some pics

I totally agree and I want to crate train him, but I just worry about the length of time in the crate. Any advice on length of time? I just feel like i would be torture him if I left him in there for six hours without a break...

thanks!!! I really appreciate hearing all the good things about crates and hope it will work out for us.

lisa is offline Senior Member

six hours is a long time for a new puppy to go without going out to the bathroom. Lola and Gracie would go out at least every 3 hours at 3 months of age...anyone who can let him out sooner than 3pm?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If you look at the crate from the point of view that the puppy will develop about their crate, you will be less concerned. My 15 month old "puppy" LOVES his crate - we leave it open most of the time and he chooses to snooze in there. He is crated (with it closed) when we are not home.

The length of time in the crate is not the issue for a young puppy - it is the time without an opportunity to get out to pee that is. You really need to find a way to have someone come at noonish to feed him and let him out/play a bit. A half hour should do it.

When you crate train you are insuring that your puppy will be safe while unsupervised during his puppyhood and the extended adolescence that Labs have - AND you have insured that if you MUST have your dog in a crate (for travel or to recover from an injury) he will not pitch a fit and hurt himself. All things considered - it is very wise to crate train.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

it is the time without an opportunity to get out to pee that is. You really need to find a way to have someone come at noonish to feed him and let him out/play a bit. A half hour should do it.
    That. If not, I wouldn't be getting a young pup, I'd look to rescue an older one.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it!

It's not really an option at this point not to get a puppy or adopt an older one, thus why I am looking for the best solution for us.

I think regardless of crating him or not, there will always be a crate set up and he can use it at his leisure.

Keep the advice coming...i'm still confused

Tanya is offline Senior Member

The options have pretty much all been covered so I am not sure what more you are looking for. THIS is the time you really really need a pet sitter, it is the hardest period. I would word hard on getting a sitter NOW even if it means skipping a few months later on (once dog is old enough to hold it in) to balance the budget.

- crate puppy and limit size of crate so the dog can just stand up and turn around, get someone to take puppy out every 4 hours max. this is part and parcel of getting a puppy
    - if it is positively absolutely NOT possible to get puppy out every 3-4 hours, give more space for puppy in their crate - so that they can pee/poop in one spot and sleep in another. but be aware that this will GREATLY delay house training as the dog WILL learn to pee in the house at least once a day (because their bodies CAN NOT hold it in that long). So it will be confusing for the dog. Furthermore you will likely have to wash the puppy when you get home sometimes if htey accidently laid in their accident. Crate will have to be washed with odor-neutralizer as well to eliminate the smell (as well as any bedding if there is some in there).
    - If you opt to not crate, make sure to create a dog friendly/safe spot for the puppy FOR THEIR SAFETY. Ideally a puppy pen or something like that, or an empty room. if you go this route DO NOT scold or get mad at the puppy for any destruction they may do. Make sure they cannot chew/swallow/eat any harmful procuts (both edible and non) and be ready for the puppy to pee/poop in the area they are in if you are not able to let them out.
    - you could try puppy pads if you go the x-pen/puppy safe area. This is not the prefered way to house train as it involves training twice, once to use the pad, then eventually to go outside.
    - again, if you do not crate, it is best to have someone come let the puppy out to go to the washroom but there are chances the puppy will not wait for their arrival as they have plenty of room to go and sleep away from it (which is the goal of the crate, to not soild the area they sleep in)
    - stagger your departues from home (someone works earlier, the other one later) for a few months.

There is no magic solution for you. the very best way to house train is to crate the dog in a space just big enough for them to stand up and turn around and let htem out regularly (3-4hours at first) as to avoid any accidents in the house. The more accidents in the house (and I hate to call it accident as they puppy simply cannot hold it in that long) the longer and more difficult house training will be.
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-15-2010 at 05:41 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast