Barking In Crate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking In Crate

Drew11 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBarking In Crate

I have a 13 week old black lab named Sam. He is a very well behaved dog. Crate trained, etc. We keep his crate in the garage. He spends the night in the crate and never barks at all anymore but when I put him in during the day and go to leave through the garage door he starts barking and doesn't stop for 15-20 minutes. Any tips to keep him from doing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

creatism is offline Senior Member

ok heres a question when he barks and whines is he in his crate in the garage or in his crate in the house.

dogs are very situational, just because he knows how to behave in his crate in the garage, does not mean he knows to behave in his crate in the house.

Its the same crate in the same place in the garage. I put him in there at night and it's where I put him when I leave the house.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Why don't you have the crate in the house??

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Cause we decided to put it in the garage? lol

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dogs are social creatures. Even crated, he would probably be much more comfortable in the house with the people than in the garage isolated. I'd be barking too.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

When I leave him in there during the day there is nobody home anyway. Thanks for the "advice" guys. Great site y'all have here. Hope you don't criticize every new user that takes the time to sign up and ask a question as much as this.

Terrim is offline Junior Member

Hey Drew

I have an 11 week old puppy, so please don't consider me an expert! I'm having a similar problem - Maisy will crate all night, no problems, but doesn't seem to like it during the day. I don't know, maybe we did something wrong, but she seems to think crate is for night time only. We lock her in the kitchen during the day if we go out - it's secure there, and we leave the crate in there, but open. We give her a kong stuffed with treats before we leave, so she doesn't see us go. We don't say goodbye or make a fuss - neither do we do a big greeting when we come home. I guess we're trying to take the emotions out of us leaving her, etc.

I wonder whether it's more about you leaving, than Sam being in the crate. You can't exactly sneak out when he sees the door go up. Have you tried a treat like a kong so he's not focusing on you when you leave? I actually think Maisy, by the time she's eaten her treat and looked around to check there is no more, has kind of forgotten that we've left and just goes to sleep.

Anyway, I hope that helps. As I say, I'm no expert... I hope you're loving having a puppy in the house. We're loving Maisy, had no idea how much fun she would be!

mrobmsu is offline Member

I think the "point" is that there is likely to be less barking if the crate is in the house where the dog knows the people live--rather than in the garage where he's all alone. Is there a reason you decided on the garage? Where we live the garage would be pretty cold during the day, also dark.

Try not to take the advice as criticism--its hard to convey accurate tone via text only, people are really trying to help but aren't sure they understand the situation yet, so are asking questions. Hang in there--you may get an answer yet.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drew11 View Post
    When I leave him in there during the day there is nobody home anyway. Thanks for the "advice" guys. Great site y'all have here. Hope you don't criticize every new user that takes the time to sign up and ask a question as much as this.

LOL! That was SO mild! Really not criticism at all.

When you sign up for a forum like this you will get answers from other members who are expressing their opinions. Usually educated opinions. Experienced opinions. You are free to not agree and go along doing what you are currently doing.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast