2 new puppies!!!

Thread: 2 new puppies!!!

Ever85 is offline Junior Member

Default2 new puppies!!!

Im getting 2 lab puppies on march 11th they are brother and sister. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for crate training. Should they be in separate crates? or together at first? I have raised a puppy before but not two at the same time so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

NEVER crate them togther (with exeption of maybe 2 minutes when in a pinch). Even better if you can have space between the crates (opposite ends of the room, seperate rooms).

Seperate them as much as possible. Even if it is to take one for a walk or a car ride while the other stays home, do this often in the first year. The HARDEST part of having siblings is ensuring they do not bond to each other first and you second. Their individual bond to you must be stronger than the bond to one another and to do this will require alot of work on your part.

For training, take one in a seperate room to work with, don't have the siblings right there.

Make sure you are ready to take TWO it is ALOT more work (some say more than twice the work!). Most breeders actually will not let a buyer take two home. Also consider the extra cost (everything x2 right away) and the possible heartache of loosing both around the same time years from now. And having two older labs needing help (our family dog is a senior and needs help getting up and down stairs/vehicles) and there is defintely no more walking for him (other than walks around the back yard!)

welcome to the board, congrats on the new addition(s).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Ever85 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I know this will be alot of work and I have mentally prepared myself. Trust me I am fully aware that this will be alot harder than I think, but I will have my husband for help and I am hoping that Bandit can help too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Second the concern about getting 2 puppies at once. It's hard enough with one older dog to get the puppy to focus on the people more than the other dog. With 2 puppies this is ridiculously difficult. All training has to be separate - and in most cases this is going to require taking one puppy away to do it.

And - no reputable breeder would sell siblings from one litter. I hope the adults are screened for genetic clearances. If you get 2 puppies with genetic issues - it could be ungodly expensive.

ETA - I know I sound like Debbie Downer here - but most people who do this regret it afterwards. I personally would not ever have 2 puppies at once - cannot imagine a good reason for it.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 02-28-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.