Buying new pup. Has runny eyes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying new pup. Has runny eyes

Jim Dellis is offline Junior Member

SmileBuying new pup. Has runny eyes

G'day all, just joined the forum and site. My family and i are looking to buy and new pup next week, we've had a look at her several times now and think she's the one. She is now 7 weeks old. On our last visit 2 days ago i noticed her eyes were runny. Discharge clear and eyes slightly red. Should this be a concern and should i request breeder gets pup cleared for any eye infections before we committ to buying. Any advice appreciated. Regards Jimmyd.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would have a vet check the pup before I bought it
    Spartacus

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Did you ask the breeder about this? Do any of the other pups have runny eyes? Do you have a current vet you can call and ask if you do not trust the breeder's answer (or for second opinion)? (you should have a vet lied up for the new pup anyway, if you do not already)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi Tanya, thanks for your reply. I spoke with the breeder yesterday, she had informed me that she gave the pup some human eye drops and that the weeping of eyes had stopped. She did say a couple of the other males have similar runny eyes. She explained that this is something that some of her pups have had as well as some of her adults. She believes it could be dust or grass as the pups have an area to play on. She wasn't pushy at all and stated that if i took the pup and i wasn't happy i could return it. They seem like nice, genuine casring people. She also stated that her vet would have noticed something at the puppies recent vaccinations. We left it that she would monitor puppy over the week and if any further discharge she would inform me. Does her feedback seem reasonable enough and reassuring enough? Feedback would be appreciated.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would doubt that human eye drops are appropriate for a puppy. I would talk to your vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks for the reply christensen. I guess it's better to check out.

I think they were saline drops to clear any posssible debris in the eyes. But checking with vet sounds important.She claims the eyes are clear now. Could it have just been some debris. Thanks Sharon

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Honestly, if you already asked the breeder al the right questions I don't know that this one issue would be a deal breaker. Especially if stuff like health clearances and proven parents/breeder experience (or mentor if they are new) are all good, and pups were beign socialized properly.

Sounds like she just flushed the eyes, which would make sense if the tearing was due to debris. Did the puppies otherwise seem healthy and active?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Yes, all other health checks are good, puppies appeared helathy and happy.Parent (bitch) looks good and temperaments fine. Spoke to my vet again and he said if it was debris then tearing should have stopped by now. If i go and pick her up and still notice that her eyes are teary then should negotiate with bredder that if i take her and have her checked out by my vet and there is something serious with eyes, then she would accept a return and refund.

DefaultGood News

hi all. Good news. The Breeder followed through regarding my concerns and had pup checked out. Turns out, nothing too serious, just mild conjuctivitis, apparently common with some pups. Being treated with eye ointment. Should be all clear in 5 -6 days, which means can pick her up on Sunday. Yipeee! Whole family can't wait. First LAB experience and bit nervous about having a pup, as our last dog passed away last year, he was 18years old.

Thanks to those who responded to my concerns. Your advice very much helped. Trust your instincts. Also learnt that it pays to find a reputable breeder who is concerned about the welfare of their animals. Cheers JIm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast