KEEPING PUPPY ON LEASH TO KEEP OUT OF TROUBLE

Thread: KEEPING PUPPY ON LEASH TO KEEP OUT OF TROUBLE

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

UnhappyKEEPING PUPPY ON LEASH TO KEEP OUT OF TROUBLE

I have tried keeping toby on a leash today since he sneaks off and gets in trouble (chewing shoes, cardboard boxes, etc) so i look down, he was sleeping, and no toby just the leash minus the clip end .............he chewed his way out ..........any suggestions ? at my wits end if i crate him he just cries and i can't keep in the crate all day ................help................

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lkb987 is offline Senior Member

Have you tried setting up a small gate to keep him away from the shoes and boxes or any other items because if you do try it...well he could still romp and play around w/o being in a crate or on a leash. I hope this helps.

Liy Chelsea Blinson

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

There is really no substitute for paying attention. He is like a baby - you really have to watch what is going on - where he is, what he is going - all the time. This does not last forever, but for the period while he is a baby and is learning to ehave you must watch his every move when he is not in thte crate.

The point of having the leash on him is to have it tethered to you. If you did that you would have noticed him chewing on it - right?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

he was sleeping at my feet .............looked at him still asleep............ 2 mins later he was gone .................never heard him move or chew ..........razor sharp baby teeth don't take very long.

Quote Originally Posted by rookyduckling View Post
    he was sleeping at my feet .............looked at him still asleep............ 2 mins later he was gone .................never heard him move or chew ..........razor sharp baby teeth don't take very long.
    Well - like I said - it's about watching all the time. They do make chain leashes he won't be able to chew thru. One of mine has a chain leash after he went through a couple of nylon and leather leashes while in the back seat of my car.

that probably needs to be the next purchase

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You have sympathy from all of us. You have to pay attention and he has to teach you to put things away. It took HK 6 pairs of my DWs shoes before she learned that she had to put them away and couldn't leave the closet door open. HK is 3 now, and she can leave here shoes accessable again.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

My true confession - I have had a lot of dogs and this puppy, Blaise did in 3 pretty good pairs of shoes over his first year here - including a favorite pair of Skechers sneakers I can't replace. So - happens to everybody even if you are careful and watch them closely.

He is such a sneak.

lkb987 is offline Senior Member

Another thing you try is getting a small King Kong toy and filling it with peanut butter. Our Lab, Lily, used to chew on her dog house. This kept her occupied to where she wasn't chewing. You can't just leave the King Kong alone because they will get all of the peanut butter out, and they will just go right back to chewing. You might just want to buy some more toys to keep him occupied.

Liy Chelsea Blinson

we have kongs, rope thingys, football, 2 big labs for him to play with, frisbees, jolly balls, tennis ball,...............it's been 6 1/2 years since i had a puppy and i guess i just forgot how much trouble they can get into ................. should be better in a couple of weeks and we move to our forever house and can contain him better in the kitchen and utility room .................... but for now i'll just keep pulling my hair out i guess