Jumping

Thread: Jumping

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultJumping

Limo is 6 mos now and doesn't jump on people, but just jumps in the air from excitement. Any ideas on how I can nip it? It drives me crazy!

Also, he sniffs the kitchen counter when I'm making something. I've been using my body to back him up and I say "back". Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ksweber is offline Member

Re counter sniffing/surfing - a trainer showed us an awesome trick, which nipped this in the bud 100% in our case. Get an emergency air horn - like at a hardware or marine supply store, they're SUPER LOUD! Set up a situation where the dog will put paws on counter - leave some tempting food/treat or his food bowl near the edge. Wait around the corner. As soon as he lifts paws for counter, blast the horn. With Maisy, she was shocked, and backed off immediately, and has never tried it again. I think it's important to do this while they're young and just starting to show interest in this bad behavior, before they've had any success with it. In other words, if they've already enjoyed a roast chicken from the counter, you have an uphill battle, even with this method.

I do think you have to be careful and use this method only for limited issues, however. You can't use it all the time for general jumping or people jumping. Only for specific, important off-limits, like counter, or maybe raiding garbage can.

Another idea - have you taught "Leave It"? You have to set up some training scenarios with rewards and teach it so he understands what it means, and then you can use it in real-life. Maisy has gotten pretty good at it, and we use "Leave it!" in the house if she gets shoes, kids toys, etc. Also great on the street for bits of garbage, etc. It's a great all-purpose command. But we needed something more high-impact to address the counter-surfing!
    Meet Maisy!

mosmama is offline Senior Member

Now that's an idea! I may wake up the whole neighborhood!!! LOL He hasn't jumped on the counter. He just runs his nose across it

I have been teaching "leave it". It seems like it 'only' really works when I put his collar on him and he knows it's training time...LOL He's pretty smart, though and I think with consistency, he'll learn.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO