Looking for Training Tips

Thread: Looking for Training Tips

Boston is offline Senior Member

DefaultLooking for Training Tips

As I stated before I am getting my first lab next friday!!! Just wondering what are some good training materials (books, websites, DVDs, etc.)

I want to make sure I do it right but I can't afford a professional trainer.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Check the forum for training tips, ask your questions here. The sources of information are great.

Seriously recommend that you see if there is a decent puppy class that you can get into in your area. Not individual training, but as a group. 5-12 dogs (and owners). A class like that will give you a great insight of what to expect, and techniques. Also give the young dog some socialization with other dogs and peeps. Around here a 6 session sequence runs $75 +/- $25.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    Check the forum for training tips, ask your questions here. The sources of information are great.

Seriously recommend that you see if there is a decent puppy class that you can get into in your area. Not individual training, but as a group. 5-12 dogs (and owners). A class like that will give you a great insight of what to expect, and techniques. Also give the young dog some socialization with other dogs and peeps. Around here a 6 session sequence runs $75 +/- $25.
    great idea. That's something I could afford i will look in the MA area.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

For classes, you might see if a nearby Labrador Retriever club offers one.

PetsMart stores also have classes BUT the instructors vary anywhere from excellent to awful.

I suggest you get some books and read them so you know what constitutes good training.

Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" is the gold standard (read the customer reviews of it on Amazon books)

Also, Patricia McConnell's "The Other End of the Leash." McConnell also has a website at www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com with lots of useful pamphlets, booklets on specific behaviors.

If any one suggests a book by the Monks of New Skete, smile and say, thank you, but don't get it. They work with a different breed with a different temperament and with techniques now considered not good.

I think Ian Dunbar has a DVD that's probably good -- I haven't seen it but he's main stream.

You might also google NILIF dog training. NILIF uses meal times as training periods (NILIF = Nothing In Life Is Free) -- very effective and easily used for 2-3 minutes with pups.

Doing this reading will give you the ability to evaluate the quality of any group instructor. I watched the instructor (Trish) at our local PetsMart when Puff was a pup and she was excellent, so we enrolled there -- $75 for an 8 week class for pups. I found out she'd studied several years with a very good local dog training couple, a year with Jean Donaldson in S.F., CA, and 6 mos. at a respected training center in WA or OR.

When Trish left, she was replaced by young woman with little experience and kookie ideas.

So it's VERY worthwhile for you to be able to evaluate your instructor.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    For classes, you might see if a nearby Labrador Retriever club offers one.

PetsMart stores also have classes BUT the instructors vary anywhere from excellent to awful.

I suggest you get some books and read them so you know what constitutes good training.

Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" is the gold standard (read the customer reviews of it on Amazon books)

Also, Patricia McConnell's "The Other End of the Leash." McConnell also has a website at www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com with lots of useful pamphlets, booklets on specific behaviors.

If any one suggests a book by the Monks of New Skete, smile and say, thank you, but don't get it. They work with a different breed with a different temperament and with techniques now considered not good.

I think Ian Dunbar has a DVD that's probably good -- I haven't seen it but he's main stream.

You might also google NILIF dog training. NILIF uses meal times as training periods (NILIF = Nothing In Life Is Free) -- very effective and easily used for 2-3 minutes with pups.

Doing this reading will give you the ability to evaluate the quality of any group instructor. I watched the instructor (Trish) at our local PetsMart when Puff was a pup and she was excellent, so we enrolled there -- $75 for an 8 week class for pups. I found out she'd studied several years with a very good local dog training couple, a year with Jean Donaldson in S.F., CA, and 6 mos. at a respected training center in WA or OR.

When Trish left, she was replaced by young woman with little experience and kookie ideas.

So it's VERY worthwhile for you to be able to evaluate your instructor.

Thanks!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Also click on "Our Best Advice" in this board.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748