Biting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biting

mrobmsu is offline Member

SmileBiting

Well, we are still dealing with Buddy's biting issues--not unusual at 10+ weeks, but still annoying and quite painful. And the boys (6 & 9) were starting to be afraid of him rather than excited to see him.

Then our breeder suggested the following whenever he got into a biting mood: when he starts biting, take your index finger and put it on his tongue, pressing down towards the back of his throat--not hard enough to be painful, but hard enough to be uncomfortable.

It sounded odd, but worth a try. Less than a day later Buddy's biting has been greatly diminished. Its clear that he doesn't like the finger down the throat, and has associated this feeling with biting. He's much calmer, and much better with the kids, which is great. They are spending a lot more time with him, he's enjoying their company, and everyone is happier.

Has anyone else ever heard of or tried this technique? I'm pretty sure we aren't hurting him, and he seems to be understanding that he's not to bite our hands. Seems like a win-win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

creatism is offline Senior Member

never used that method personally. what i've used in the past is when they bite wrap my hand over the top of their muzzle and take my fingers and push their cheeks into their mouth. kinda the same effect they try to bite you and instead they bite their cheek. it works.

bood luck and glad it works.

Personally, biting to me in either man, horse or dog is never acceptable. One quick wack on the nose and a stern NO...you might have to to do twice but its effective to the point and makes a lasting impression. In other words, it will stop now. I am not talking about harming the pup just making it as clear as mother would that you do not do that ever again. After a while just saying no and maybe a raise of the hand...When there are small kids about its even more important to make the pup obey. Ditto jumping up- must be dealt with quickly..in the end its far more humane rather than constantly picking on the dog..and it makes it clear who is the leader.
    Spartacus

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gopalkalna is offline Junior Member

my 10 weeks lab bitch bites only myself and my son, but is very friendly to others , even any outsider.
    We are trying all possible suggestions, but the puppy is same. any help?
    She is otherwise very friendly and active.

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

when i tell Toby no firmly and swat his nose he just snaps his jaws at me like you don't really mean that do ya mom ?
    might have to try the finger down the tongue ...............

rooky- then wack him harder..right now, its probably more like a tap and part of a game. Making sure they know its not a game is important.
    Spartacus

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Shaking my head at this.

I would never advocate smacking a puppy. Yes, it may stop the behavior but will likely leave you with a hand shy dog. Hand shyness is VERY hard to overcome. There are better ways to inhibit biting - one of which is to roll the puppies lip around their tooth and press hard enough to inflict a little pain. The point is to teach them that their teeth hurt - not that a person's hand will inflict pain.

Enlightened management of dog behavior does not include corporal punishment.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 02-28-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by christensenfarms View Post
    rooky- then wack him harder..right now, its probably more like a tap and part of a game. Making sure they know its not a game is important.
    are you seriously encouraging someone to hit their PUPPY harder? I realize you mean a hard tap on the nose but at what point does this "tap" become a hard "hit" - the line can be thin.

I personally refuse to bully a dog into obedience. Bullying/hitting is not a sign of a strong, rational leader, which is what puppies (and all dogs) need. These are BABIES we are talking about, they do not know what you want from them, mouthing is very very normal for puppies. You want to raise your puppy with trust and leadership, not bully them into submission by hitting. There are two great ideas mentionned above on how to approach bitting (finger in throat or pinch gums into tooth). It also takes times and consistancy to develop good habits.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

actuallly the finger on the tongue is working really well ..............................

myFirstlab is offline Member

yikes, hit them harder?!? I think a dog is much happier to be with you when you enforce the things you want using non aggression techniques. Instead of hitting them or even just pushing their lip or putting your finger down their throat, just tie them up to a door knob and walk away and come back and keep doing it if she still does it.

Granted it may not work the first couple of times but if you keep doing this it works.. for some dogs it may take more than a few times, just gotta be patient..

When we first started working on this, everytime she bites us we used a word like off, and then walk away (and we say it calmly). When we come to her and she doesn't bite, we praise her like crazy and also give her a treat. she is about 4 1/2 months now and TOTALLY does not bite anymore. We are using the same technique with jumping and she is doing very well as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast