Current thinking on choke collars

Thread: Current thinking on choke collars

Spikey is offline Junior Member

DefaultCurrent thinking on choke collars

There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions regarding the use of choke collars. Do responsible trainers still use them for puppy training? I have read the previous posts and understand that I should not use a choke collar on a very young puppy and also that there is a difference between the choke and prong collars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

what type of training? leash walking or other? For stuff like sit/down/etc I would personally NOT recommend a working collar (especially not with a young pup) at all - just a regular flat collar. use positive reinforcement rather than relying on corrections to train.

for walking/heeling, for a young puppy I personally do not understand why one would NEED a choke chain. they are small and young, training should be all positive reinforcement and training.

There is a difference between a choke and a prong (have you seen them in pereson?). The choke chain if not used properly CAN cause damage to a dogs throat. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to use the choker to work with a trainer who will, at a minimum, recommend the correct size/lenght of collar and show them how to put it on and how to make the correction. At one of my rally classes, three owners arrived with chokers and all three had it on INCORRECTLY. these were not clueless idiots by any means (heck, here they were at a training class).

A prong as well has to be properly fitted, most owners who buy and fit a prong on their own do not fit it properly (which is when it can be harmfull/useless). I would personally not use a prong on a young dog, nor would it be my first choice. I use it on some fosters that are adults and very very strong, and for whom the other tools do not allow me to work with them.

prong/pinch:
    File:ProngCollar wb.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

choke/slip
    File:SlipCollar wb.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA: I am not anti choke and prong, there is a time and place for all training tools, these too!
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Choke collars are training aids that if used improperly can cause more harm than good. if used in the proper manner, it can help with the training process. Sometimes,one good tug of a choke collar will get the message across while a dog can tune out the constant tug of a flat collar. When this happens, your really teaching the dog your command can be ignored. if you understand at what point you need something like a choke collar or a e-collar, these tools can be very effective win training a dog. Abused and you can ruin him.
    Spartacus

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I use the prong more for training than anything else. I do like the choke chain but more because it's very sturdy, especially for young strong pulling dogs. I do most of my training on their plain collars or a thick slip lead. And when we do walks to train for heeling, they wear the prong. Now that we are to the point where I am teaching them off leash walking, I use an electronic collar.

mamazano is offline Member

I have a Golden Retriever (and a new Lab puppy). On our Golden, she would not listen to us, not even for treats. Headstrong, and STRONG, she was 85 lbs of obstinance. We took her to an obedience class run by a former K-9 police officer, who recommended the prong collar. I had always used a choke collar in the past with my German Shepherd and other dogs. But a choke collar can really harm a dog's throat if used improperly, and a headstrong dog will pull and pull. We bought a quality prong collar, put it on Chancy, and presto! Instant good dog. It was amazing.

The officer explained that the prong collar simulates the way dogs show dominance in a pack or a mother correcting her pups, by grasping the throat. The dog is programed instinctively to respond by being submissive. Or at least listening, as with ours. She doesn't know the word submissive.

Good luck, and as the others say, both collars are for training, and proper fitting and use is essential. Hope this helps.

Stephanie_pups is offline Junior Member

Whats a prong collar??
    My 5mnth old lab was feral on the lead. and she couldnt and wouldnt walk on a normal collar.
    i got her a choke collar or "check collar" as they are calling them.
    And its done nothing but wonders.
    she is walking next to me, still as proud as she was pulling me.
    I dont really like the idea of the little choke.. im not sure if its hurting her or if she gets upset..
    but it must be doing something right!?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie_pups View Post
    Whats a prong collar??
    My 5mnth old lab was feral on the lead. and she couldnt and wouldnt walk on a normal collar.
    i got her a choke collar or "check collar" as they are calling them.
    And its done nothing but wonders.
    she is walking next to me, still as proud as she was pulling me.
    I dont really like the idea of the little choke.. im not sure if its hurting her or if she gets upset..
    but it must be doing something right!?
    see here for a photo of the prong (you will have to scroll down abit, it lists all types of collars).
    Dog collar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the collar is just ONE part of training - the more important part is teaching the dog how to walk. It is not the be all end all, it works great for some dogs, but not all. it absolutely must be fitted properly as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

I have a nylon choke collar (same concept as your typical choke collar, except it's nylon instead of chain) for pups that don't walk well on a flat collar, and then I use chain choke collar for training older dogs or those that don't respond to the nylon choke collar. Haven't used a prong collar but I like and would definitely recommend a choke collar.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com