Sportdog E-collar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportdog E-collar

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultSportdog E-collar

Has anyone used a Sportdog E-collar? We've been looking at various collars and this one looks like a good buy at $99.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I have one. I would not buy another one.

Okay, what does that mean? I have the one with the 3/4 mile range. Why did I buy that one when I don't thinkHK has ever been more than 100 yards from me? I don't know. It works just fine, I have not had any problems with it. I only know that the nick still works because I test it once a month on my hand. I never use anything but the tone with HK.

Why wouldn't I buy another one? I have since seen several others including the one BobPr recommends. I forget the brand. Since HK is pretty responsive to recall and I don't need the shock, I would like one that had a vibrate function, and multiple tones, maybe louder tones. I know someone makes them like that. The big complaint I have about them is that the receiver on the dog's neck is large and significantly heavier than most of the others available.

That's my story.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I prefer TriTronics over all others. I have a Sportdog and found it very inconsistent in when and if it delivered a shock. I would never own another, but I won it in a raffle at aPheasants Forever banquet.

The training facility I work at uses Dogtra when the owners request a board and train for ecollar. The Dogtra has a smaller receiver. The more "basic" ones (at least the ones I have used you turn on and off by passing a spot on the receiver by a spot on the transmitter...just inconvienent to me. I don't know if they all are like that)

TriTronics has a large variety of models to choose from, I have a Pro 500 (it can make a tone and has 100 levels of stimulation), G3 Sport Basic EXP (3 dog..it can make a buzz sound and has 20 different stimulation levels 10 continuous and 10 momentary) and a Classic 70 EXP (6 dog...makes a tone, and you can add a tracer light to see the dog better at night and has 12 levels of stimulation 6 continuous and 6 momentary). They are very reliable and last a long time on one charge. I use each in different circumstances and depending on how many dogs I am walking. With one of my older models (that I no longer use) I even went "swimming" in the winter with the transmitter in my pocket (Belle fell through the ice and I broke ice and swan to "rescue " her). There was no ill effect to the transmitter

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

I recently ordered a Sportdog 400 and i'll let you know how it goes. I bought primarily on the review and recommendation of Gundog supply. come web site.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Tri-Tronics.

ON another note, I'm hoping you're using the collar in tandum with a professional trainer and to train advanced off leash commands that the dog already knows...otherwise, you just wasted $99.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I've used a Dogtra 200NCP (this model is now replaced by another designation) for 6-7 years and it is excellent for my purposes.

It has a "P" (Pager -- vibrating, buzzer mode), a "N" (Nick, one very brief e-stim), and a "C" (continuous, which lasts for 5").

The intensity of the shocks can be adjusted infinitely between "0" and "100".

I set it at "20" which was the level I could just barely feel a "N" on my fingertips and was also a level to which Puff responded.

From my previous training, I should be an expert in conditioning and learning procedures. Possibly those worked for us.

My Puff very quickly learned to respond to the "P" signal (which, if she didn't, was followed by the "N").

99.9% of the time, the "P" signal was sufficient --VERY rarely was a stronger, more punitive stimulus needed.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I just started using the Sportdog 400. it has made a difference with Sparty who isn't a bad dog but at 8 months he was starting to ignore my commands. A few nicks here and there plus a few sharper zaps have cured him of that. Otherwise I don't need the stimulus very often and save it for situation which call for it. So far it has been a very good training aid.
    Spartacus

mosmama is offline Senior Member

I will be getting a Dogtra as well. I believe it is a 280NCP (new one from what Bob has). Years ago with Mo I had an Innotek and it ended up breaking on me. I've heard good things about the Dogtra. We'll see.

Bob, I might look for some advice when I start training, if you don't mind
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I use e-collars every day, as do lots of folks. I have had a sportdog crap out on my and would not touch another one. There are 2 real choices for an e-collar, in the opinion of most ardent field trainers. Those 2 choices are TriTronics and Dogtra. That is like comparing Cadillac to Lincoln. I prefer the TriTronics collars due primarily to the transmitter, which I can use and adjust the setting without having to take my eyes off the dog. Dogtra is excellent as well, I just have to look down at it to be sure i am hitting the right buttons. Either one will last near about forever, and many generations of dogs. Both have "tone" or "page" functions. I strongly suggest to anyone that they get a copy of Mike Lardy's "Total E-Collar Conditioning" DVD BEFORE you ever use an e-collar. Best of luck training your dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast