Wits End!!!

Thread: Wits End!!!

stockylab08 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWits End!!!

I have not been around for a while but I am really going through some stuff wiwth my Doser.
    Since I rescued Doser in 2008 he has been a joy for our family. We had a few mishaps at first but it was all in learning who this boy was. It has all turned out great!!!!!
    until recently,!
    For those of you that don't know our story I got Doser from a lady here locally who got Doser from a rescue down in the Carolinas. She trains dogs for SAR and thought Doser would be a good candidate for that. I'm not sure how she figured this but it ended up her putting an ad out for him because he did work out for SAR. Anyhow, me and my boys went out to see him, loved him, and brought him home. Long story short, he has been great. I bought him a crate because although he seemed well house trained I was unsure of how he would act in the house when I was not home. He destroyed the crate. Literally ripped it to shreds with his teeth. It was a heavy duty wire crate from Petsmart. Anyhow I was nervous at first about leaving him in the house but it turned out he had great house manners. He never destroyed anything unless I tried to confine him somewhere. When he just had his run of the hosue he would not go the bathroom in the house and he would not destroy anything. When confined he goes bezerk though. Anyhow, I just left him out while we were gone and he was always great.

Next chapter is us moving to a house about 2 months ago. We did all the moving ourselves so it was very strenuous and hectic. Throughout the moving which took about 4 days Doser was by himself at the old house alot. I didn't want to bring him in until I was somewhat organised. Anyhow, I admit this was a big mistake on my part because this destroyed so much that is now jsut nightmarish. Throughout the time he was by himself he would relieve himslef in the house. I expected this because I knew he would have to go but between the kids school, me in school, and moving at the same time I really did't make it a priority to be there to let him outside. Anyhow I didn't know how much this would mess things up.
    We are now in the house for about 2 months. Doser has become a house Peer and pooper. He will go outside when I bring him out but he will also go in the house whenever I leave the house for errands or bringing kids to and from their school busses. I am so frustrated because I am trying everything and he is really wearing out everything I have to keep me same. I even went and purchased a super heavy duty crate from online thinking that the petsmart crate did not work but if I find one strong enough then he will not be able to break it. Boy was I wrong!!!!
    I payed about $250.00 for this crate and he destroyed it the first time he was left in it. People on another forum are saying that I have to desensitise him to the crate, I have already been down that road. When I first got Doser he was not crate trained and he would bark and whine. I did the training with him and he is now perfect in the crate. Whenever I put him in there whether it's to sleep for the night or throughout the day he will just lay and sleep. EXCEPT when i'm not here. If I leave the house he goes through trying to get ot of the crate and then he goes to the bathroom in the house. I am posting this to vent, for advice, anything because I am so at my end. I really don't know what to do. We ahve been going through more obed. training and bonding things lately. not much for excercise due to the weather and freezing cold but...... I dont know. Please help!!!!!
    <br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

You answered yourself. He's bored. Bring him out for exercise. tire him out, before you leave and then the crate thing shouldn't be an issue. Doesn't matter how cold it is for us. they don't care. Bundle up.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

well heard. I have had some time to cool down. I just was so fraustrated. I am trying a couple of different things right now. more excercise, more obed. training. more mental stimuli. I'm sure it will work out because he is a very inteligent boy. I just get fraustrated at times.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Do you crate him while you're home? If not, I'd start doing that randomly through the day whenever you can't directly supervise him. I'd also try a vari kennel (plastic).

I do crate him when i'm not home. he also goes in there at night to sleep. during the day if i need him out of the way for one reason or another, he goes n there. the only time he freaks out in there is when i'm not home.at any time i need him in there he goes in willingly withou any fuss. I am starting to do some desensitising with him. putting him in the crate and leaving for a minute then coming back and praising. that sort of thing.. I am so scared to put money into any more crates for this dog unless it's made of some indestructible metal they have not made yet. uuugghhh!!! lol I think with the plastic crates would work because he would not really be able to get a hold of anything to bite. but then he would just tear the door off.
    <br /><br />

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

((HUGS)) this is a toughie...I might get some flak but have you tried him in a dog run? I could never have an animal that continued to use my house as a toilet....just can't happen with my kids and such, very unsanitary. But there is hope since he did well in your first home. I suspect he is very anxious about the move and doesn't feel comfortable yet. Locking him in a secure dog run while you are not home may help until he feels at home again. Excercising and back to basic obedience training should help. Good luck. Very likely he has been passed around because of this type of behavior from puppy hood and moving again has caused anxiety and behavior to escalate.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

He's bored. Bring him out for exercise. tire him out, before you leave and then the crate thing shouldn't be an issue. Doesn't matter how cold it is for us. they don't care. Bundle up.
    That. My 3 get two walks per day, 365 days a year.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"