Peeing Everywhere
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peeing Everywhere

uhmanda is offline Member

QuestionPeeing Everywhere

I posted this once I thought but apparently something went wrong.

Toby is peeing EVERYWHERE!!!
    I have done everything.
    I am beginning to wonder if this is normal puppy potty behavior or if he may hav a behavioral problem????

Here are the things I have done:

1). Set a timer for 50 minutes and take him out when it goes off (EVERY 50 minutes).
    2). Reward him with treats everytime and directly after he goes potty outside and say "GOOD BOY!!!!".
    3). Have him ring a bell on the door every time we go out to go potty
    4). When he pees in the house I show him where he went and put him in his kennel for 15 minutes.
    5). I give him water only during his meals
    Is there something I am not doing or doing wrong??

-I make sure he is always in my sight when he is out of his kennel. He just pees right in front of me.
    -I will take him outside to go pee and he will pee but come back inside and pee in the house 15 minutes later.
    -I will take him out for 20 minutes he wont go potty, but will come back in the house and pee right after we get back in.
    -He will pee in his kennel.

Is this a behavioral problem???? Is it maybe a bladder infection??? Normal Puppy potty behavior???? What is going on!

[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Two things:

#1 -- AFTER you've cleaned up the spots peed upon, have you consistently used "Nature's Miracle" OR OTC 3% hydrogen peroxide to kill all odors broadcasting the message: here's a good spot to pee -- pee here! Have you? If not, start immediately!!!

#2 -- If #1 is not an issue or pertinent, check with your vet about the presence of a UTI (urniary tract infection).

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I made an appointment with the vet today about a UTI and he will go in tomorrow, that might be the problem. If not: Back to square one!!!!

Also, I had started off using Natures Miracle but Toby still seemd to go in the exact same spots. And I mean, I used A LOT of solution to penetrate all the way to the padding!!! SO I started using this stuff called UrineOFF at the pet store and it seems to be working really well (better for the price of it!). He will still pee on the carpet but not in the same spots!!! NOW we have taken up the area rug in the living room, the bathroom rugs, and have put a baby gate up (that he can climb!!) at the entrance of the areas carpeted in the house. Now the only surfaces he can go potty are on the sealed wood floors and linolium, so that makes cleanup easy plus the smell doesnt fester at all (we clean the area with Mr. Clean, then a clorox wipe). But it is not just pee (although that is the majority), but he poops in the house too. Like today for example: I took him outside at 7 a.m. this morning right when I got up. He hadnt eaten breakfast yet and had been in the kennel all night (with a potty break 3 hours prior). We went out for a walk for 25 minutes. We went where we always go (we have a routine walk around the fenced in backyard and then around the outside of the house, we use the same pattern everytime we go out to go potty). He went pee immediatley after we got outdoors. But didnt go poop. But I wasnt too surprised because he hadnt eaten breakfast yet). So 25 minutes after being outside we go in and I am not kidding you, not even 3 minutes later he poops on the kitchen floor! I show it to him then clean it up. I put him in his kennel for 15 minutes. We go outside after that for 15 minutes. He doesnt pee or poop. But yet comes in the house, plays for 5-10 minutes and pees AND poops in the dining room!!!! And all of this right in front of me (I do not let him leave my sight). But he has no problem doing it in front of me! I know he is probably just being a puppy in this is how puppies are (I have only always had cats so I am used to getting an 8 week old kitten and right off the bat it goes in a litter box!!). But I have children and this is 100 times worse than potty training them!!! But I guess I just need to vent and maybe I can come across some answers, suggestions, or similiar storie where people have gone through this,..cause I need some encouragement!!!! I am bout to the breaking point!! :-(
    [IMG][/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Welcome to puppyhood. I would first make sure no medical problem, then maybe when you see Toby starting to go to the bathroom quickly pick him up and tell him outside and bring him outside...even if he is finished going to the bathroom. When you place him outside use whatever word you use to tell him to go potty..i.e. go potty, go pee, outside, etc...I would not put him back in his crate until you show him where you want him to go. Don't be to discouraged, he is young, Lola is almost 4 months and still has accidents if I don't react quick enough to her cry. He will learn..I promise

Thanks Lisa,..I need words of encouragement. It has been so difficult for me with also having two little ones at home to care for. But its funny: Some days he seems to do REALLY bad and others it seems like we are making a step forward just to go two steps back the next day!! I didnt realize it was this much work. Sometimes I even have to put him in his kennel during the day just to calm him down because he is mauling the kids and biting my ankles. But it hasnt even been two weeks, so I DO need to just hang in there. I love him and couldnt think about giving uo on him but some days are terriblle!! Well, the timer just went off: Time to go out again!!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You have gotten good advice, and I believe that you are truly trying. Considering the problem as you have described it, I think it is important to amplify the importance of having your eyes on him if he is loose in the house. If you can't watch him, hehas to be in the crate. And watching him does not mean being in the same room prepping a meal, or watching tv, or reading a book, or helping what I think is your cute daughter. It means eyes on him. You will learn the signs he will give when he is about to pee or poop. That is when you have to grab him and get him outside. Since he seems to have gottencomfortable going in thehouse already, this is really important, as is the cleaning and descenting that has been mentioned.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

uhmada, does your puppy pee/poop in his crate? If not, maybe you should be crating him until he has better control. For a 9-wk old puppy, he should be able to hold it for at least two hours. So, during the day, have him crated for 2 hours. Then take him out of the crate and go outside right away. Try to get him to pee/poop outside. If he truly shows no interest, then play with him a bit -- that usually will give them the urge to go. After he goes, play a bit more and give him water. Then its back to the crate he goes. Repeat this cycle. After a few days, try not to crate him as much. If he is better, then decrease the crating time; if not, then go back to crating more.

In the beginning with Miko, I thought the poor puppy will forever be crated.

Good luck! And I'm sure he will eventually get it.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by uhmanda View Post
    Thanks Lisa,..I need words of encouragement. It has been so difficult for me with also having two little ones at home to care for. But its funny: Some days he seems to do REALLY bad and others it seems like we are making a step forward just to go two steps back the next day!! I didnt realize it was this much work. Sometimes I even have to put him in his kennel during the day just to calm him down because he is mauling the kids and biting my ankles. But it hasnt even been two weeks, so I DO need to just hang in there. I love him and couldnt think about giving uo on him but some days are terriblle!! Well, the timer just went off: Time to go out again!!
    I completely understand...read some of my older posts. There were days when Gracie was a puppy I would sit down and cry because she was such a terror. She would nip at me all day, run around in circles snarling at me and constantly chewing and eating things she shouldn't. I did obedience training with her and it helped..it made her tired mentally. If it is possible this is something you should look in to. Gracie still is a boat load of energy, she requires her walks and play but it is def getting better. It is twice as hard for you with little ones, my children are grown an it was still a lot of work. Be patient and before you know it you will have a loving pet that your whole family will enjoy. My prayers are with you and Toby too. I vented on this board many times, so when you feel the need...just log on and vent

By the way, I know you mentioned Toby pee's often and the vet cleared him of any problems. Lola at 9 weeks went out sometimes every 30 to 45 min. I felt like I spent half my day running up and down the stairs, so I don't think it is that unusual.
    Last edited by lisa; 02-03-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Somedays Moka will have to go out 3-5 times within the hour. He does have free access to water but other days he will drink the same amount and not have to go for a few hours at a time. It really is different for every pup. Stick to the advice already given and what you have been doing. Toby will get the routine and it will get better!

Dani is offline Senior Member

50 minutes is not a good indicator of need to go. Seriously. When people or dogs sleep, they can hold it because their bodies are not actively processing. But when a puppy is up and moving, they are processing. My rule is keep them on a leash in the house so you can keep them near to you. Then, watch closely. Anytime something is done, take him outside. Wakes up from nap, outside for potty. Done eating, outside. Slowing down from playing, outside. Don't give the opportunity for accidents. And when you can't supervise 100% you crate him.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast