What will my pup's personality be?

Thread: What will my pup's personality be?

dukesmommy22 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat will my pup's personality be?

Hi all since this is my first lab pup I was wondering how everyone elses' pups personalities compare to our Duke's. He very much likes to be around us, he's definately a people dog. He even follows us into the bathroom! Washing dishes, he's on my feet. If I sit on the floor and he's sleeping sumwhere else and sees me on the floor he comes right over and lays on my lap (he's getting a little big to do this!). Also he doesn't go very far from us at all yet. I wasn't sure if this was part of his personality thing or a puppy thing. He is right on our heels and if we let him go ahead of us he takes a couple steps and waits for us. Just trying to see what everyone elses' pups are like, and if someone had a pup like him what he is like as an adult dog now. -Ashley and Duke

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Well, when Dio was a little pup (he's 8 months now), he was never that affectionate. He would visit for a minute or two and then play or nap. He's still like that. He needs to be able to see us, but he does his own thing. The only time he cuddles is when he's tired or sick. He likes to lay on our feet though, which is nice when it's cold out!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Labs do differ one from the other. But from reading responses to JL forum questions such as yours for the last eight years, in general, males tend to be a little more affectionate and more "Velcro" dogs needing to be close to their peeps. But there are individual differences -- my Bess was a super-velcro Lab and super affectionate to strangers. She loved laying in my lap and being stroked and petted. In bed, she stretched parallel next to me, her head as close to my head as I'd allow (I hated breathing 2nd hand Lab breath).

My Puff, by contrast, has some traits more as typical female Labs are usually described: she wants me always in sight so if I go in the living room or kitchen, she jumps in "her" chair where she can keep an eye on me from 30' or > away. But if I go out of sight into the bedroom, she immediately follows and jumps up on the bed beside me, lies down with her butt pressed against my knee -- or with her head resting on my feet.

What you've described sounds very similar to about 80% of male Labs.

But it's not just individual differences in Lab genetics. Some very important aspects of later dog "personality" are formed by early experiences in the first 6 months of life (what ethologists and comparative psychologists call their critical or "sensitive period"). They'll profit from experiences during this time with those things with which they'll need to be sociable later in life -- dogs, children, people, crowds, boating, riding in cars, etc. The final summary chapter in Scott & Fuller's "Genetics and the Social Behavior of Dogs" (available on interlibrary loan as well as new & used from Amazon) describes much of this. This book, still a classic, still in print after 50 years, summarizes 20+ years of research on dog behavior which examined how much of dog behavior comes from differences in genetics, how much from early experiences during a dog's critical or sensitive periods (first 25 weeks) and to what extent behaviors were or were not amenable to later training.

ETA: http://www.amazon.com/Genetics-Socia...owViewpoints=1

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 01-31-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: insert ETA:
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

uhmanda is offline Member

I just got Toby last week when he was 8 weeks old. From the minute our eyes locked~we were in love!! He is extremelly loveable and attached. He will climb 3 foot baby gates to get to me if I leave the room, even if for only 30 seconds!!! He is very playful, and loves to play fetch and tug-o-war for much time. He is very good with the kids. Never nippy (hand mouthy of course but not nippy) and loves to play with them (although they are scared of him sometimes because he is so energetic!). Surprisingly, he doesnt even seem to notice my 2 cats!!! And out of all four of us (me, my husband, and the two kids), he seems to cherish me and tag along with me the most. He is always by my side. Always wanting to play or cuddle. He also comes into the bathroom with me (and has a bad habit of peeing on the bathroom rug!!!). If I am doing dishes, he is laying across both my feet. If I am on the laptop, he is either in the floor right below me or right next to me. If I am laying on the couch, he is laying on the other side. I feel like I have another child. I personally think that a lot of what temperament they display as a baby is the temperament they are gonna display as an adult. I hope so anyways, I have such a loveable lil womans best friend!! Toby also is extremely welcoming to new faces of humans and animals.

Good luck Ashley & Duke. And I hope you have an awesome relationship!![IMG][/IMG]

dukesmommy22 is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your comments to my post! I too have heard that males are more affectionate/want to be around you alot (we initally were going to get a female but Duke was my fiance's Christmas present and the one he fell in love with so we changed our minds haha). Uhamanda I hope Duke is good with kids too when we decide to have them like Toby is with yours : ) Thanks again!

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Labrador Retriever licking your face". – Unknown