Submissive Peeing

Thread: Submissive Peeing

uhmanda is offline Member

QuestionSubmissive Peeing

Okay, so my 9 week old pup is peeing right in front of me. I thought it ws just that he couldnt operate his little bladder well, but I noticed that he can hold it for twenty minutes while we are outside to look for a spot but yet cant hold it in while in the house!! We go outside every 50 minutes, he goes outside, then he comes in and goes at random times. But come to think of it,...it does seem to mostly be in front of me that it happens!! I just thought this behavior didnt start until they were a bit older, not just a couple months old! Can anyone give me any advise as to how I can help stop this habit if that is the problem?? Today I started showing him the pee (like I did before, but not rubbing his nose in it, I just want him to see it) and then making him sit in the crate for 15 minutes afterwards EVERY TIME. So far, no affect, but I am sure any method is gonna take a bit !! Help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

my boston terrier submissive pees...there really isn't much you can do but ignore the behavior. Most will outgrow the problem as they age. Any sudden movement toward her made her pee, as well as every time my hubby and oldest son greeted her. As she grew the behavior became less. She still will submissive pee from time to time but not very often. (she is 18 months now).

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Well, its not like he pees when he is excited or when people come around, he just pees, even if I am right there stairing at him. I dont fully understand the concept of submissive peeing. I dont even know if that is what is going on. For all I know, hes got some kinda behavioral problem already and doing it out of spite (since he does it right in front of me), but I like to think maybe it is just because he is a pup and this is the way it is gonna be for a while.

[IMG][/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

greg is offline Senior Member

my lab jack used to submissive pee when he was a pup.everythime we went the vet.he grew out of it at about 6 months.you may want to have Toby checkout for a bladder infection .

You know, I was wondering if maybe he had a bladder infection. Because he pees everywhere even after he just went out and peed. But he was at the vet last week two days before I got him getting a checkup and his vaccines so I thought he woulda been cleared of anything wrong. But I guess a bladder infection could have crept up between the time I got him two Thursdays ago and now. Do they hav a way to check besides me telling the vet he pees all the time? Like how they check humans,..protein in their urine or something like that? He doesnt seem sick. His pee doesnt smell and he is very energetic and responsive. But again, I dont really know the symptoms of a UTI in a dog. I will give the vet a call tomorrow. It sounds more like he may have a bladder infection than submissive peeing or maybe just normal puppy potty behavior(?)[IMG][/IMG]

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'm doubting that this is submissive peeing but I'll admit I've had not much experience with it.

Some years ago, on a trip to the lake to sail, I found a young adult collie abandoned on a stretch of rural highway and took him home. I put a notice in the newspaper (Lost & Found pets) and posted many fliers in gas stations, convenience stores, in a 15 mile radius of where I found him.

I shortly discovered a probable reason he might have been abandoned -- almost every time I approached him, he rolled over on his back and emitted a fountain of pee in the air.

I kept him for 2 weeks without any response to my fliers or newspaper ads and then took him to a no-kill animal shelter in nearby Lawrence (I found him half way between Lawrence & Topeka) recommending he might be more suitable in a farm/rural environment.

I mention this because my hunch is that submissive peeing is usually accompanied by a submissive posture.

If you don't have the posture, the probability of UTI goes up.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Fallin Skies Kennel is offline Junior Member

I would NOT be scolding him and using the crate as punishment for this! First the crate needs to be their place of comfort and when you use it for punishment at a young age like this it is going to make more problems for you later on in that department. Submissive peeing is something that he will grow out of, it is just a nervous/excitement reaction. It is not something he is trying to do to get your attention, be intentionally disobedient, or anything like that. Give him some time and try not to scare him with a punishment when this happens and this will come to an end for you much quicker!

Kelly

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If your Toby were a human baby - say a 2 year old you were trying to potty train - and that baby had an accident, would you consider this a spiteful act? That would be ridiculous, right? Because he is just learning how to recognize when he needs to pee and associate that feeling with going into the restroom and using the potty. It takes months for a human toddler to learn these things.

To expect so much of a 9 week old puppy is crazy!

You really need to dial back your expectations and read a book or article about house training a puppy. It takes TIME, PATIENCE and CONSISTENCY. By the time he is 14 weeks you will likely have a fairly well trained puppy who may have an occasional accident.

Take him out, wait for him to pee, celebrate that successful outdoor pee (or poop) with him - so he understands that eliminating outdoors is a GREAT thing - and do this on a regular schedule. Several weeks of that and he will be running to the door when he needs to go out.

And - stop showing him his pee (this is meaningless) and stop crating him for no good reason. I also agree that this is not submissive peeing. That always comes with associated behaviors.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 02-28-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.